What fish??

gotwood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wondering what others think would be a good fish to smoke along with
ribs, chicken, pork butt going on for my wife this coming weekend???

dont want intense flavored fish like salmon or rainbow trout....

brown trout??

whitefish??

I'm not very familiar on this subject. The topic has been brought up before so you may want to search for a thread.

What we in Australia call Tailor I believe is called Bluefish up your way. Don't know if they're commercially available there, here they're mostly recreational fish only.. but anyway, I can vouch for the species when smoked.

What we in Australia call Tailor I believe is called Bluefish up your way. Don't know if they're commercially available there, here they're mostly recreational fish only.. but anyway, I can vouch for the species when smoked.

If we're talking the voracious, toothy little, (not really, up to 20 lbs), buggers, yeah they smoke excellent! in fact many folks feel that's the only way to eat them as they can be oily. They'e all over the eastern seaboard right now so I'm sure they can be had most anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluefish is an excellent fish for smoking. King Mackerel is also a fine choice, if it's available.

I take people fishing for a living... and we get our fair share of alligators (as we call them).

They are EXCELLENT smoking fare - and very good table fare below 2-3lbs (once they get big enough to eat bunker, they taste like bunker lol). THey are available whole at most fish markets. Brine them in sugar and salt, smoke right next to your chicken, serve hot and fresh off the smoker. Smoke skin on, skin down. THey are unmatched in flavor when smoked.

In the summer months we have started to smoke striped bass (which tend to feed under the bluefish, on the scraps left by the alligators, since they are lazy) because they too tend to start to taste like bunker, but i think the bluefish's oil and texture still makes a better smoked fish.

I have smoked Halibut and also Sea Bass,both came out good.

If we're talking the voracious, toothy little, (not really, up to 20 lbs), buggers, yeah they smoke excellent! in fact many folks feel that's the only way to eat them as they can be oily. They'e all over the eastern seaboard right now so I'm sure they can be had most anywhere.

Chris, if you skin them and then trim the dark fatty portion off, they are not very oily.

Chris, if you skin them and then trim the dark fatty portion off, they are not very oily.

when i filet them i filet the blood line out (the red section that runs the lateral line). each filet comes out into 2 sections when i do this - a top half and a bottom half - not unlike tuna. I bleed all my bluefish out into salt water when caught and slush ice them (2 bags of ice, 1 gallon seawater) until filetting.

that being said if you are smoking, the skin should be on, and you wont be able to remove that blood line (i dont eat it after smoking, as the pure white meat will pull away from the blood line meat)

only part i'll eat of a big blue is the cheek!, (unless it's smoked). smaller ones, we call them cocktails are way better, broiled w/ a little lemon & buttah..

Back