Smoke This

MEAT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
From my understanding to much smoke is not good. But everytime I add wood to my smoker it smokes. Right?
When is smoke to much?

lol.....Is there a way to add wood without it smoking?
Should I foil my meat? Should I not use so much wood?
Should I grab another beer?

With a BSKD you need to keep a small, hot fire and pre-heat your wood on top of the firebox before putting it in the firebox.

If your meat is really bitter after smoking, it's too much smoke and you may want to try some lump charcoal and wood.

The wood only produces a lot of smoke until it ignites. Preheat the wood and it will ignite on contact with the coals. If you preheat on top of the firebox of your BSKD, keep an eye on it. It could (will) catch fire.

Watch for the sweet blue.

On edit: What he (Harbormaster) said.

I agree with pre heating your wood. Also, on my stick burner, I add 1 piece at a time, about every 20-25 minutes as needed. If I add too much at one time the white smoke will be thick.

I ran into the same problem and just went and bought a second Weber chimney. I tested it last night with just putting it on the gas grill filled with wood chunks that I can keep going. I'm going to try that approach and see what happens. I tried heating them up on the firebox as well, but it didn't seem to help that much. I still got white smoke for a couple of minutes with each chunk.

Too much smoke can result in a bitter taste in your meat. Misquite is very easy to over smoke with . Hickory also, but not as bad as Misquite. Make sure your wood is well seasoned and not green.

There is such a thing as too much smoke. Oversmoked brisket and ribs are the two bad ones that come to mind. Can you oversmoke a pork butt? maybe not but brisket, definitely. Too much smoke is when your meat temp rises above 125-130 farenheit. After that, meat won't accept any more smoke and your just adding to the soot on the outside. Use charcoal and wrap that dude in foil if you have to smoke another meat.

There is such a thing as too much smoke. Oversmoked brisket and ribs are the two bad ones that come to mind. Can you oversmoke a pork butt? maybe not but brisket, definitely. Too much smoke is when your meat temp rises above 125-130 farenheit. After that, meat won't accept any more smoke and your just adding to the soot on the outside. Use charcoal and wrap that dude in foil if you have to smoke another meat.

Well, the reaction that causes the ring stops around 140°, but I think you can still get smoke flavor to the product. And of course too much bad smoke will add the "soot" or off flavors.

Back