View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think both ideas so far sound good. Whole tenderloins look mighty rough right of the cryo package, but they clean up nicely. Be patient and set up a cutting board at the kitchen table so you can take your time. The good thing is that a tenderloin is one of the easiest things to barbecue.

Here is the way I trim and break them down.

I do a simple seasoning and I start out with a low temp fire and a tray as a heat deflector, then I'll finish raised direct allowing the pit to ramp up during the cook. Sometimes the end sear is not needed, so play that by eye.

I know this might sound weird, but because tenderloin is pretty lean, less fat means less beefy flavor. Way less "beefy" than a ribeye or a T-bone. An option is to inject them with a jazzed up beef broth. And some aujus is good served on the side. I have an easy aujus recipe it you would like to see it. Anyways, cook it until it's a few degrees under your target internal temp.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->