UDS question

Backfirin' BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a drum today. It at one time held Gelcoat like for fiberglass manufacturing. The drum only had one spot on the inside where any was visable. I burned it out all day. Do you UDS builders think its ok to proceed or should I find another drum? The drum was not lined. Smells clean but would like you opinions.

IMO, as long as it looks like steel on the inside and you burned the crap out of it at high temp, you oughta be ok. Do not eat your first cook though. Cook something really fatty like a Jimmy Dean pure pork sausage (we call them fatties) at about 300 degrees or so for at least 3 hours. This will give your drum a nice fatty amberish patina and seal. Then just let the drum rock for as long as you've got coals. Then enjoy the heck out of it! :)

Thanks! Sounds like a plan to me! It had so little of that stuff in there I feel like its ok but just thought I would ask.

I used the same type (gel coat) drum from the Boston Whaler company in Edgewater, Fl. I've not had any problems or offgassing issues. I burned the barrel out with a weed burner (twice just to make sure all potential toxics were removed). It works fine.....

Go for it, and post pictures of the build!

Welcome to the club! :)

RMR

Most of the time the extreme temps we put them through during burnout will never be seen again during any cook, maybe not even a high temp pizza cook. You will be fine just get it all greasy and dirty (with food grease) and enjoy the heck out of it, I know I loathe to cook on mine every weekend.

:clap2: It works! Smoked a fatty the uds ran super smooth few ups and downs Im guessing operator error. its still going and has been lit 11 hrs still coals unlit in it. Started with about 2.5 inches deep in the basket. 17in dia. I am shocked how well it does. Thanks again for the tips guys. Gotta paint it and will post pics as soon as I figure that out.

webuds_zpsc62bfece.jpg

I use those same magnets on my vertical smoker to help close off the air flow on the 2" grease/drip valve. Good $2-$3 fix. Nice job on the intakes!

Don't paint it.... it's beautiful as it is.... after all it is a UDS

Thanks guys. They are magnets on the intakes. I painted it black but may do different with the paint later.

The intakes are 1.5 exaust pipe. Muffler shop bent them for me. Then I welded a washer on the end. A washer I made large enough to go around the pipe. I used my lathe but it could be done with a die grinder.

Back