• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Farked in the butt

superlazy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I can't even tall ya's how many butts I've made over the years and never once ruined one, Till now:mmph:
I figure we all share our success so might as well share a failure

I had the kids take 2 bone in's out last week 1 to smoke 1 to make sausage.
I woke up late this morn. Grabbed a Butt and rubbed it real good. 10lbs.
Smoker wanted to run around 310, Meh fine. Went on around 11:30am
I thought my mavrick meat probed was dead since it kept reading LLL, I messed with it for a few and gave up and went about making sausage.
Well sometime later I glanced over to check pit temp and the meat was reading 50 something deg. WTF. It didn't dawn on me till later that the middle must have still been froze:oops:
I went to pick my daughter up from work at 5:45 and it read 188
got home 192 went to check the bone and... crying time
fark1_zps96a143ad.jpg

It's wrapped in the cooler resting but I know what the outcome will be:cry:
Fark it 2 more batches of sausage to grind & time for a beer or 12

Maybe I'm missing something (in fact, I'm sure of it) but what's the problem?

Pork butt is VERY forgiving, so don't judge it till you taste it. It looks okay in the picture. What did the bone do that has you worried?

CD

It's just jerky around the bone, I picked at the bark and can tell it's going to be dry

They take a very long time to thaw out, I ran into this once but realized it before I started cooking it.

Yep sucks!! Maybe if this was Famous Dave's or Hillery's It would be fine.

Dry simply dry. No Love here for this cook:cry:.
As you can see from the pics not juicy at all and pulled like crap
Meh we learn from our mistakes. The wife and kids will be disappointed but life goes on. I think I'll take cholloway's advice and see how it goes
fark3_zpsd4f581dc.jpg

fark4_zpsb5056a48.jpg

fark5_zps76d2e340.jpg

Last edited:
They take a very long time to thaw out, I ran into this once but realized it before I started cooking it.

Thanks, I know, it was in the fridge for a week. I know my freezer is cold but geeze. Wife and kids got back a little bit ago and agreed I Farked it!!!
Wife tried heating some and soaked it in sweet baby rays :cry: and only got 3 bites into it and told me it is the worst thing I have ever cooked:becky:

After 20yr's of playing with butt's I take it as a complement

Superlazy wrote: "Wife tried heating some and soaked it in sweet baby rays :cry: and only got 3 bites into it and told me it is the worst thing I have ever cooked"

I wish I had a nickel for every time I could have said that!:shocked:

Oh well chit happens. don't beat yourself up over it. You're a good cook time to move on.

Maybe do a quick search. Ive read some posts of people who did the same thing, even knowing it was partially frozen and had success. Not that you're going to do it again, but maybe just out of curiosity. Anyway, out of all the cooks you've done well, and I've seen quite a few here, I think youre record speaks for itself. Get em next time.

yep, just did a small one and it took forever. finally got it to temp. took it off and later found it on the dry side. realized i had the probe tip to close to the bone. i just chopped it up and made sammies. wasn't all that bad.

Ran across a good quote one day, and thought it might come in handy:

"Good barbecue comes from experience, and experience, well, that comes from poor barbecue."

So far I had a few close calls and mediocre product on occasion but no real fark-ups. I'm sure the day will come.... :shock:

Chop it up and make Mecican lasagne AKA enchilada casserole, or a big pot of chili. When life give ya Lemons.....

I had a brisket that came out dry like that once so I put it in the freezer and forgot about. I was cooking a big pot of chili last winter and I thawed the brisket out, chopped it up and made the best pot of chili of the winter. I don't see why you couldn't do that with a butt.

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Chili!!! Never thought of that:-o Dogs are out of luck:mrgreen:
It still bugs me. My oldest friend called this evening and I confessed my sin to him. "Dude how did you Fark that up? In all these yrs you have made great down to Darn good!!! Ok were you drunk? LoL"
Lesson learned, Don't get complacent :grin:

Back