Question about boiling ribs

jgarcia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
:shock: Not what you think. :wink:

I made some extra ribs this weekend and vacuum sealed and froze them. I plan on taking them to a Scout camp and reheating. I do not know if I will have a grill to reheat and was planning on placing the bag in a pot of boiling water like pulled pork.

Anyone done this before with ribs, and how did they turn out? Should they be thawed first, and how long should I heat them?

That's the best way to reheat bbq that has been vacuum sealed. Keep an eye on the pouch and not let it melt. Generally doesn't, but I have had it happen.

Lol. I almost fell of my chair untill I read the rest of your post =)
Funny.

That's the best way to reheat bbq that has been vacuum sealed. Keep an eye on the pouch and not let it melt. Generally doesn't, but I have had it happen.

AMEN!

Do not leave the water on "full boil".
Get it boiling then turn down the heat to a "high simmer" to avoid busting the bags.
Frozen or thawed is OK.
20-30 minutes should do it.

Good Eats!

TIM

Dangerous subject line!! :wink:
It's funny, I used to work at a restaurant that specialized in wings (they were really good) when I was working my way through university a few moons ago. Well, they did ribs too and used to boil them earlier in the day, they weren't the most popular item on the menu but would sell quite a bit. I figured the owner knew what he was doing so I started to boil them at home too, I later found out that this is of course a huge no-no. :oops:

LOL, I was certainly prepping for the big blow up when I opened this.......whew!

Looks like you got plenty of the right advice above.

KC

:shock:You mean You don't boil your stuff before smoking?? but...but .. OH that is what a the aluminium foil is for now I get it:roll::razz:

I don't do Boiling, just a hot Soak like in SUE V. who ever she is:tongue:

Boy o boy i thought there was gonna be a reason to start yelling but i see your point now...lol sounds like you got some good advice.

I figured the title would get some attention. Thanks for all the advice, I think I am well on my way to having the best dinner at the campout.

I'm more concerned about how you're going to keep them. The scout camp I attended (as an adult) had no facilities in the individual camps to hold food. Scouts were absolutely forbidden to hold perishables between meals. any left over went back to the commissary. if your camp is like this and you violate the rules, how to you expect to convince the scouts to follow the rules? Of course every camp is operated differently and I suppose you've already made arrangements for storage. (and maybe you'll make the staff really happy on one of their late night forays into the camp cooler. :wink: )

I'm more concerned about how you're going to keep them. The scout camp I attended (as an adult) had no facilities in the individual camps to hold food. Scouts were absolutely forbidden to hold perishables between meals. any left over went back to the commissary. if your camp is like this and you violate the rules, how to you expect to convince the scouts to follow the rules? Of course every camp is operated differently and I suppose you've already made arrangements for storage. (and maybe you'll make the staff really happy on one of their late night forays into the camp cooler. :wink: )

Thursday night is the OA ceremony and parent night (no dinner provided), and that is when I will be arriving. Parents bring meals for the kids before heading to the ceremony. Being only about 90 minutes away, I'll just keep the ribs in the cooler and heat up when I get there with the troop supplies.

Thursday night is the OA ceremony and parent night (no dinner provided), and that is when I will be arriving. Parents bring meals for the kids before heading to the ceremony. Being only about 90 minutes away, I'll just keep the ribs in the cooler and heat up when I get there with the troop supplies.
"Happy Campers" comes to mind. :hungry:

I reheat all my BBQ in the vacuum sealed bags. I would highly recommend the bags designed for it. The others may not be safe. Ie, once heated they can release chemicals.

Seems strange to say but a chamber style vacuum sealer was one if my best BBQ investments.

Lucky kids!

And thanks for setting us straight on the rib boiling process before there was a run on heart attacks.

Before I ask this, let me say I have never boiled my ribs. That being said, how many here have actually had ribs that have been boiled before going on the grill/smoker? Personally, I have never had the "pleasure" but I'd try them if someone offered.

I clicked here expecting a online fist fight, nice go and getting peoples attn, and next time I have left overs I might have to try this

AMEN!

Do not leave the water on "full boil".
Get it boiling then turn down the heat to a "high simmer" to avoid busting the bags.
Frozen or thawed is OK.
20-30 minutes should do it.

Good Eats!

TIM

That's how I reheat, I prefer to thaw first, and as stated above, after the bag is in the water, reduce the flame.

When I vac-seal I add a very small amount of apple juice or peach nectar just before sealing, This adds to the flavor when re-heating.

Back