Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

Thanks alot guys, :). Im planning on having a pizza party this weekend. I really hope everything goes well, It will be my first time making pizza, cooking in a wood fired oven and serving all that to family. Im nervous... my main concern is the dough, i just have to get that right and the rest should be okay.

Holy smokes, (pun intended), I'm a newbie on here and just browsed through this thread and most of the photos. WOW, that oven looks amazing, may you enjoy many pizzas for your hard work. I wouldn't fret the dough you'll have plenty of time to experiment with that. Just today on another thread we were discussing pizza dough were I recommend using Italian Tipo 00 Flour if you can find it, it's higher in gluten which is what you want in a pizza dough.

Also, don't use a dough pin, if you do be gentle unless you are going for a very crispy flat dough. Again, experimenting is everything but I'd really track down the Italian flour that's all I've been using the past couple of years when I discovered it.

Holy smokes, (pun intended), I'm a newbie on here and just browsed through this thread and most of the photos. WOW, that oven looks amazing, may you enjoy many pizzas for your hard work. I wouldn't fret the dough you'll have plenty of time to experiment with that. Just today on another thread we were discussing pizza dough were I recommend using Italian Tipo 00 Flour if you can find it, it's higher in gluten which is what you want in a pizza dough.

Also, don't use a dough pin, if you do be gentle unless you are going for a very crispy flat dough. Again, experimenting is everything but I'd really track down the Italian flour that's all I've been using the past couple of years when I discovered it.

Thanks alot for the encouraging words, i have heard of the Tipo flour, i will start using the more expensive flours once i get this thing figured out, in the mean time im using King Arthur, which is still pretty good from what ive heard. Thanks for the advice.

...... We're all waiting to see some pies come out of that thing. Looks like it will be soon.......

I'm thinking he should install a webcam so we can all watch it live. :laugh:

Also, here's a link to the Varasanos Website.
There's a HUGE MASSIVE amount of information on there. The guy puts some reasoning behind some of the myths behind making pizza, and the pizza dough itself. Even if you skim it and read a few of the bullet points that strike your fancy, you'll find it very informative and educational.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great pizza party. Temps should be warming up by the weekend so the evenings should be nice.
I threw a pizza party on Halloween night once and that was a blast. One friend came dressed as a motorcycle cop and made his very first pizza which came out pretty good. I remember posting his pic on one of the pizza forums. But there were also lots of messed up pizzas..... we blamed those on the beer. lol...
Lot of others played it safe and just roasted marshmallows...:)

V-wis,
Try this site for dough making. Here's a link to a calculator on the measurements you will need. Get a digital scale.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

I've used this many times and I'm very happy with the dough. The dough should sit in the fridge for several days to ferment. This adds lots of flavor.

Take pics of the pies and happy faces.

Jerry

I'm thinking he should install a webcam so we can all watch it live. :laugh:

Also, here's a link to the Varasanos Website.
There's a HUGE MASSIVE amount of information on there. The guy puts some reasoning behind some of the myths behind making pizza, and the pizza dough itself. Even if you skim it and read a few of the bullet points that strike your fancy, you'll find it very informative and educational.

Bob i wil deffinetly document, dono about a live cam, lol.

Thanks for the link ill have to read thru it.. Thanks

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great pizza party. Temps should be warming up by the weekend so the evenings should be nice.
I threw a pizza party on Halloween night once and that was a blast. One friend came dressed as a motorcycle cop and made his very first pizza which came out pretty good. I remember posting his pic on one of the pizza forums. But there were also lots of messed up pizzas..... we blamed those on the beer. lol...
Lot of others played it safe and just roasted marshmallows...:)

Sounds like a great time..

V-wis,
Try this site for dough making. Here's a link to a calculator on the measurements you will need. Get a digital scale.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

I've used this many times and I'm very happy with the dough. The dough should sit in the fridge for several days to ferment. This adds lots of flavor.

Take pics of the pies and happy faces.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for the link, that will be helpful as ill be serving about 16 peeps.

Jerry, thanks for the link, that will be helpful as ill be serving about 16 peeps.

i like that site, but IMHO, not a big fan of the lehman dough or the calculater results.

i've been working with this one lately, with very satifying results.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3MEV-dQ0A"]Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds like a great time..
It sure was.
I found that photo of my friend's first pizza from that Halloween party. :)

P1050446_zps59da119b.jpg

Fantastic setup - really well done! Here in Sao Paulo, pizza ovens are very popular, although I am ashamed to admit I have a pre-mold concrete job, and wished I had done a proper brick job.

2vmiiqt.jpg

The hardest part was perfecting the dough - I still haven't found the recipe I really like, but it's a lot of fun experimenting. The best thing about the pizza oven is that everyone joins in - it's very interactive compared to BBQ - I have also done some great lasagna and breads in the thing.

I plan on re-doing the BBQ house - it's going to be a setup like yours, with a proper Pizza oven, the BBQ pit, an Argentinean 'Parilla' grill for cooking over wood at closer range and a Brazilian 'Fogo a lenha' which is a wood fired hot plate like this:

jv6q1k.jpg

Anyway - fantastic job, and I can't wait to hear more about your pizza success stories and some photos of the food please!

Fantastic setup - really well done! Here in Sao Paulo, pizza ovens are very popular, although I am ashamed to admit I have a pre-mold concrete job, and wished I had done a proper brick job.

2vmiiqt.jpg

The hardest part was perfecting the dough - I still haven't found the recipe I really like, but it's a lot of fun experimenting. The best thing about the pizza oven is that everyone joins in - it's very interactive compared to BBQ - I have also done some great lasagna and breads in the thing.

I plan on re-doing the BBQ house - it's going to be a setup like yours, with a proper Pizza oven, the BBQ pit, an Argentinean 'Parilla' grill for cooking over wood at closer range and a Brazilian 'Fogo a lenha' which is a wood fired hot plate like this:

jv6q1k.jpg

Anyway - fantastic job, and I can't wait to hear more about your pizza success stories and some photos of the food please!

Thats pretty cool, indoor wood fired cooking.. Sweet, thanks for sharing.

Well i got the dough, Used 7.5 pounds of flower, 11 pounds of dough, should be enough for 18 pies right?

2rwulxx.jpg

23sxj5s.jpg

10i8fif.jpg

hmmmm, depends.

i don't have my exact calculations with me but, i think i use between 450 and 500 grams per pie for 14 plus inch shell. kinda depends on how the dough is acting that day.

1 pound=453 grams. so if i was cooking 18 pies, 11 pounds would not be enough. plus i always fark up opening at least one of them.

hmmmm, depends.

i don't have my exact calculations with me but, i think i use between 450 and 500 grams per pie for 14 plus inch shell. kinda depends on how the dough is acting that day.

1 pound=453 grams. so if i was cooking 18 pies, 11 pounds would not be enough. plus i always fark up opening at least one of them.

I have since added more to the dough, also i will be making 280g 12 inch pies.

Back