Fire and Ice: A precautionary tale and PRON!.

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I planned to fire up the ECB and UDS smokers this weekend and experiment.

I was going to cold smoke some avocado and cheddar cheese, and hot smoke a pork belly and a shoulder.

cheeseandavocado.jpg

rubbedbelly.jpg

shoulderrub.jpg

I haven't smoked cheese before, so I'm going to sacrifice a brick to the smoke gods, and add more if successful.

Chapter 1: The Cold Smoker.

I cut into the avocado to place it on the grate, and I got avocado mush. I gave it a taste, and bleaah! Trash City.

I put the cheese on the grate...shhhhh, you'll ruin the story.....

cheddaron.jpg

and everything is running great, so I start with the belly and the shoulder in the UDS.

About an hour later, I open the lid to check on the cheese.

There's a reason that you're supposed to place an ice pan above the smoke source........

meltedcheese.jpg

smokedcheesefrog.jpg

Mrs. SJ couldn't stop laughing....the remains looked like a frog.

Chapter 2: The Hot Smoker

Now, I'm gun shy about my belly and shoulder.

I was going to do the Pitmaster X, style, but after the cheese thing, I decided to smoke it at 275, and not at 400.

An amusing note about this belly:

I bought it at an Asian grocery store, but it is from a Danish pig. The pork ribs I have been buying from the American grocery store are also from Danish pigs.

I pulled it when it hit an IT of 160, and crisped the skin on the grill.

porkbellyout2.jpg

porkbellygrillskin.jpg

porkbellyout.jpg

OMG! Money! Nom Nom Nom

The shoulder:

porkshoulderout.jpg

Deboned and defatted after spending a time-out in the cooler:

pulledporkdeboned.jpg

Pulled:

pulledporkshoulderd.jpg

All in all, it was a good day. The Mrs. got a laugh, and I got a valuable lesson.

Mrs. SJ couldn't stop laughing....the remains looked like a frog.

LOL....I'm not laughing at you bro, but this sounds too much like my everyday experiences around my cooker. Looks like you saved the day, just not the cheese.

LOL best post of the day! Man I can identify with ya, we've all had our cooking blunders... but it's nice when you can laugh about it. I usually just approach it Pee Wee Herman style- when I'm cooking and I crash my proverbial bicycle, I just get up, dust myself off and say "I meant to do that."

Back