• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First time going whole pig!

B

Bro-be-que

For my annual Memorial Day/Birthday Bash, I've decided to smoke a pig. Just a little guy (45 lbs) i'm getting from work.

It's good pork (Berkshire), so I'm not too worried about brining, but I do need some input as to folk's experiences with skin up/skin down positioning and whether or not to flip the pig during the cooking process.

Just cooked a 150 pounder yesterday. The guy I get mine from doesnt scalled and scrap the skin. Instead he just skins it. I have him butterfly so it lays flat, put skin side down on grate, with a bunch of foil underneath the pig. I put 4 gallons of injection in the pig. Cooked open like that for a couple hours and then wrapped the whole thing in foil until done.

What are you cookin on? We did a 54 pounder (less head) not long ago, set it on the pit (details of the RF in my signature) racetrack style and just let her rip at 250*, didnt touch it until done. Pulled the whole thing, great!

going to put it on a buddy's pellet smoker (traeger clone), so i'm not too worried about even heating.. i'm thinking either racer or butterflied with the skin up. i've read about the meat getting to greasy with skin down...

45lbs is still a suckling. Put it on racer style and cook until the hams are tender.
If you butterfly it go with skin down.

I usually butterfly, skin up. I'll turn it if the skin needs to crisp up more though.

Back