• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Overnight 18# brisket

cds9333

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Smoking an 18.3 pound (pre-trim) prime brisket I picked up from Sams for a pot luck tomorrow. Here it is with a 7" santoku for size.

IMG_3916_zps2aaf4ff8.jpg

For ease and speed of cooking I split the flat and the point and seasoned with Bovine Bold.

IMG_3920_zps17178a69.jpg

The weather tonight is quite nice. A couple things you may notice, the welding blanket helps to keep the heat in/block wind. Also, I am using an Auber ATC and ET-732, but to keep them dry I put them in a plastic container that had a hole and grommet in the lid the wife had sitting around.

IMG_3923_zps1b213350.jpg

I'll be sure to post the results as long as I remember pictures in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that within 36 hours prior to this, it was over 70*F here.

Last edited:
Sweet! I'm tuned in. Weather looks awesome too believe it or not.

We had a little white stuff here yesterday morn. My redhead looked just like that when I woke up.

Quick update @ ~3:00 a.m., power has gone off twice for several minutes in the last hour and the brisket is holding @ 153*.

Awesome endeavor!

Haven't seen snow here in a few years. It's predicted to be rainy 77 degrees and then clear up for sunny high 40-50 degrees tomorrow through the weekend.

I'm really wanting to cook a brisket on Monday. It'll be my first attempt.

I'll most likely be buying it from Sam's. Our Sam's has an excellent meat dept.

My rub order came in yesterday. I have both Bovine & Black Ops.

I'll be watching your thread throughout the day from work. Good luck!

20130129_111127.jpg

4:30 AM, just foiled the brisket (haven't mastered foil less brisket, yet).

IMG_3926_zps218fc4a3.jpg

As for the weather, it has finally stopped snowing. This was @ 3 at the previous update.

IMG_3924_zpsc8d437ae.jpg

Wow, looks good. How many folks you going to feed with that bad boy?

Wow, looks good. How many folks you going to feed with that bad boy?

Well, it is for a work potluck today as two coworkers are moving on to other things. It will hopefully feed the up to 20 coworkers in the office.

I cooked a 17 pounder in early November that disappeared, though there were about 30 people. There was also a turkey breast and some ham, but the majority of both of those were left over. :biggrin1:

I have a WSM and I was thinking about picking up a welding blanket. Do they work well? What do you cover with the blanket? I was always under the impression that the blanket was to be wrapped around the smoker???

I have a WSM and I was thinking about picking up a welding blanket. Do they work well? What do you cover with the blanket? I was always under the impression that the blanket was to be wrapped around the smoker???

I bought the blanket to wrap my last smoker (a bandera), so it is an odd size for the WSM. I have it folded in half currently with bolts through the grommets. It does what I need it to which is block the wind. I have just wrapped it around the WSM and used the hook of a bungie cord to tie it together (not shown in the pics). To help keep it on the smoker I just folded it in under the top handle. Completely wrapping it would work much better, but I didn't want it to completely cover the top or lay on the ground.

I know there are better wind blocks, but I already had the blanket and it was a no cost solution.

Looks good. That is one big point. What are your plans for that? Burnt ends or are you going to slice it with the flat?

Every time I think I want to BBQ something other than a brisket, I come here and see another beautiful brisket being BBQ'd and that is all I want to do again. I've nearly forgotten about ribs and butts. I am brisket-obsessed and these pictures aren't helping my recovery!!!

Back