Second Voyage of the Weber GA with observations

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here is a link to the first voyage:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152144

My goal was to buy a charcoal cooker that would be quick and easy to do HH burgers and steaks. So far, so good. This cook is with ribeyes. I've tried to show it step by step. After using a gasser for many yers, I'm having to relearn charcoal unless it's for a long smoke:

These ribeyes were about 1 1/4" with ksalt, ground peppercorn and a sprinkle of SM pecan rub. Up to about 68*F after an hour out of the fridge. :

3026y5y.jpg

Used 25-30 coals for HH. Almost ready. Put them in the middle this time:

2r23jpv.jpg

Got the rig up to around 480*F. It was starting to peak at this temp. :

5n7o6o.jpg

Steaks on. I noticed that my coal spread was bad. Not a uniform heat so I placed bones out. :

9jdegw.jpg

Chooglin' at about 400*F. I normally do them between 500-550*F dome on the gasser. :

fa3o78.jpg

Lid up for a check after about 10 mins. OAT about 70*F with a 10 mph wind from the South. :

2cz4r2h.jpg

At this point I had spread the coals some and flipped the steaks.

2w73kt4.jpg

Pulled the steaks and still had a scad of coal left. Closed all vents for another cook.

ipziaq.jpg

Steaks off and resting. Looking good except for no real sear marks. I've seen mods for cast iron overlays etc. Going to get one. :

10zustw.jpg

End product equaled :clap2:

245wobq.jpg

54w4lj.jpg

It was Tasty.

A Special Thanks to phubar (The GA Master).

Thanks for lookin. This is just my learning curve to share with the Brethren. :thumb:

Looks good Toast JM2C lump burns much hotter with less ash I have no problem hitting 650 on the SJS.

Congrats on your GA, I use mine atleast a couple times a week. About your Temps, Use Lump it's way hotter. You also might try lineing the inside with HD foil. Makes cleaning it alot easier. I also cut a spare piece of expanded metal to lay on top the charcoal grate when useing the Lump.

i use at least twice that much coals. i cut a piece of exp metal as i mentioned before so i could use lump. i got a few cooks in before it got to cold for me but so far i think lump is the way to go. either way its still a great little cooker. those steaks look great regardless. i'd say you got the hang of it.

i use at least twice that much coals. i cut a piece of exp metal as i mentioned before so i could use lump. i got a few cooks in before it got to cold for me but so far i think lump is the way to go. either way its still a great little cooker. those steaks look great regardless. i'd say you got the hang of it.

It's looking like the expanded metal and lump will be Mod 1 and a cast iron layover grill will be Mod 2.

Thanks! :thumb:

Back