Prepping my first brisket - Pr0n to come!

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Prepping for my first brisket cook. I picked up an 8 pound packer from the locker back home when I was down for Christmas. I'm going to cook it tomorrow for supper, shooting for roughly a 6 PM eating time. I'm planning on running the WSM at 250-275. What can I expect for an average cook time per pound? I've dug up some old threads and see a range from an hour to an hour and 1/2 per pound.

I know it'll be done when its done and probes like butter but just trying to figure out when to fire the pit. I'd like a couple hour rest time and haven't decided if I should foil, wrap in butchers paper or just run naked the whole time. I never wrap my butts so I'm tempted to try the naked route.

My initial thoughts are to fire the pit at 5:15AM, it'll be ready for the meat to go on by 6AM, 10 hours of cook time would leave me 2 hours to rest before slicing at 6PM.

Thoughts?

It those temps it will be closer to an hour per pound, but plan extra time just in case. You can hold it in a cooler for hours if needed.

I'm looking forward to your pictures!! Good luck and Happy New Year!:-D

Here are a few shots of the progress so far...

Seasoned up and ready for the pit

DSC_0380.jpg

Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and some granulated garlic

DSC_0383.jpg

2 hour mark - it's a bit chilly out this morning :thumb:

DSC_0386.jpg

It was 14 degrees this morning when I fired the WSM up, she has been puring along at 260-270 for the last 2 1/2 hours.

I have decided to run this one naked all the way through, no foil or butchers paper as I had initially thought I might do.

Well it's time to go fry up some homemade bacon and eggs, more pr0n to come!

:thumb:Looking good I agree with you K.I.S.S. decision for the first time when it probes tender like soft butter it's done.

I am considering trying my first brisket too. Let us know how this turns out please.

Looking good.
Don't forget the stall. It'll sit at 160-170 for a while.
We look forward to the finale!
:thumb:

One more update...

Homemade bacon from this morning

DSC_0389.jpg

Fixings for beans (that's a bit of Roxy's BBQ sauce in the mason jar that I made up last night)

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

And since I had the pit open to add the beans I took another shot of the brisket

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

It's sitting at 180 right now so we are closing in on the finish line.

The bacon shot made me droll on my self:oops: those beans look mmmmmmmmMM Guod!

And she is done...pulled at 196, probe slide in easy in a number of spots. It's resting now, I'll post the results after we get done eating.

Alrighty here we go...

Off the smoker, ready to be wrapped

DSC_0395_zps0fdd572d.jpg

Bark shot!

DSC_0396_zpsf710ecdd.jpg

Sliced

DSC_0403_zpsf6cdc799.jpg

Dandy smoke ring

DSC_0404_zps0833bee7.jpg

Beans!

DSC_0399_zps1b224505.jpg

Kept it simple - brisket, beans and some good 'ol ruffles

DSC_0406_zps38add5d9.jpg

Overall I'm real happy with the way it turned out for my first attempt. The very tip of the flat was a bit dry but as I sliced further up the flat it was nice and moist and really tender. Flavor was great as well.

Any way to keep the thinnest part from drying out (assuming foiling or maybe butchers paper might help a bit)? Going to have some more sammiches tomorrow and then make a pot of chili.

If it tastes as good as it looks you have some great meals there. :thumb:

Beautiful brisket Westy!! Your beans look mighty tasty too. :becky:

Back