• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My First UDS...

Nice job. Looks like my drum. Heat shield, some cooks will call for a heat shield, some will not. I bought a universal cover from WalMart to cover my drum. Cheep and thin. But it works.

Thanks!

I bought a char broil cover on sale a Home depot. didn't fit exactly but good enough. Then i found out after the first heavy rain that the seams leak. So i ended up covering the cover with a cheap clear shower curtain. Roll with the punches. keep moving forward.

I made the handles vertical for two reasons. 1. the attachment points were very narrow and screws small , installed horizontally i didn't want them to bend or break the narrow bolts. 2. install vertically with my elbows at 90 degrees at my sides i can easily grab the vertical handles without bending my wrists. can carry with all grates and charcoal basket with charcoal. But really need to get wheels in this puppy.[/QUOTE]

You must be really strong or mine is heavier than most. I'm going to put handles lower so I can carry it strait armed and have it not on the ground. I like the idea of wheels but I don't like the look of them.

My thought for wheels is a bit much but I like to be unique. I want to make a base that will clip on and off fairly quickly and attach wheels to it with a hinged pin set up. This will allow me to switch from drum to drum and only need one set of wheels. It will also allow me to utilize multiple different designs since I have a few more to build.

Ok so i buit this thing. My UDS. Smoked my first Pork Butt. I was told it turned out goood. But i did not have any type of power draft yet ($). So i used a new blow dryer (only $19). This worked but i had to constantly go turn it on. 2 to 3 times an hour. Yeah 11 hours later the meat was good. But wht a pain. So now getting ready for my second cook. Im moving on up.... To temperature controlled bliss. I can sit inside drinking my whiskey in air conditioned comfort. Cable TV, internet, other chores yeah like making my own BBQ sauce, cole slaw, etc. So here is a couple of pics of the power draft unit i picked up an Auger controller online for a $149. Yeah i know a lot cheaper than a $400 stoker or $360 for a CyberQ Wifi. Either of these units would make me happier with Wifi. But it's BBQ now or wait for funds. Yeah thats right... lets cook now.

I did have to do one modification to the blower unit in order to get this unit to fit my 3/4in. shut off valve. So back to home depot for steel pipe fittings. another 3/4in. short thread pipe and a flange should work nicely. And it did!!

so here's the pics...

Attachments

• sm_IMG_2696.JPG
    sm_IMG_2696.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 192
  • sm_IMG_2699.JPG
    sm_IMG_2699.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 193
  • sm_IMG_2701.JPG
    sm_IMG_2701.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 839
I

You must be really strong or mine is heavier than most. I

Don't get me wrong. With grills in place wiyth charcoal it's heavy. I can't carry it a long way. But with the vertical handles i can go from the cover of the roof to the open porch area in just a few steps.

Here is a graph of my latest cook last weekend.

Attachments

• Boston_oct_7_2012.jpg
    Boston_oct_7_2012.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Did you open it up for a while when it dropped below 100*? That's a huge drop!

Not really. I think my iGrill is not calibrated. I lowered the temp on my controller to get longer cook. My charcoal burned in one direction. since the lit coals were no longer touching the rest of the coals the fire went out. Bottom line is that I was trying to run the uds at a temp of 200 degrees. I now think that is too low to sustain lit coals.

You might find that your UDS prefers temps 240-280ish. If so, you should roll with it rather than fight to keep 'em down.

Nice cooker (I would of left that cool original paint though!)

Looks good! Out of curiosity why did you make your handles vertical?
I used 3 screws on mine but made sure they were all long enough that the grate could never fall in. Now on the rebuild I turned around one and spring loaded it.
Works pretty well so far.
BTW, the spring-loaded bolts are brilliant. I will be stealing this when I make my next UDS.

Back