Smoking a turkey for thanksgiving

dae06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been asked to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. I really can't find a lot of information on doing turkeys. I think I want to brine it, but really don't know much about the process.

Any instructions are appreciated, step by step would be great as far as brine to use (I hear some turkeys get too salty), temp to smoke at, amount of time to smoke, rub to use??, internal breast temp, etc.

I have read to keep the bird aroud 12-14 lbs, but other than that, I really know nothing.

I use an offset Char-griller with lump charcoal and will most likely use apple wood for the smoke. My ribs and briskets turn out great, can't wait to try a turkey.

Thanks

There is a whole bunch of information on turkeys here. We get overloaded with turkey posts every fall!

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this forum. Search for turkey, but make sure that you have time available to read the results :)

I use a variation of the Mad Max turkey method from the Naked Whiz web site. I brine the bird overnight in Smokin Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine two days ahead, and then give it a rest out of the brine overnight before cooking. I make a compound butter with butter and fresh herbs and rub that all over the turkey, inside and out. Then I stuff the cavity with fresh herbs and aromatic fruits and veggies like oranges, apples, carrots, onions and celery. Then I put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan that fits in my Big Green Egg and I put the same herb, fruits and veggies in the bottom of the pan and add fresh turkey stock made from the necks and giblets. Then it goes into my Egg at 325 (I'm not a fan of turkey at normal smoking temps. The skin is too rubbery) for around 20 minutes per pound or until 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. I let it rest under a foil tent for 15 minutes and carve.

Oh! One good tip from Mad Max... Take the bird out of the fridge about an hour before cooking and while it is coming up to room temp put a gallon zip bag of ice on the breasts to keep them colder. That way the breast and thigh are done at pretty close to the same time.

You posted this more than once. Be careful as pultry takes up a lot of smoke Skinn tends to get rubbery. I just did a thread on turkey. Did mine at 325. Used PatioDaddio's brine. Turkey 101 has a nice brine too Will be trying that. The brine did help with moisture. Check out Mad Max on the naked Whiz site too for a great tutorial on Turkeys There is lots of info here. Do a search A lot has been written lately on Turkey and brines
I did the ice on breast and it works great

There is a whole bunch of information on turkeys here. We get overloaded with turkey posts every fall!

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this forum. Search for turkey, but make sure that you have time available to read the results :)

I use a variation of the Mad Max turkey method from the Naked Whiz web site. I brine the bird overnight in Smokin Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine two days ahead, and then give it a rest out of the brine overnight before cooking. I make a compound butter with butter and fresh herbs and rub that all over the turkey, inside and out. Then I stuff the cavity with fresh herbs and aromatic fruits and veggies like oranges, apples, carrots, onions and celery. Then I put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan that fits in my Big Green Egg and I put the same herb, fruits and veggies in the bottom of the pan and add fresh turkey stock made from the necks and giblets. Then it goes into my Egg at 325 (I'm not a fan of turkey at normal smoking temps. The skin is too rubbery) for around 20 minutes per pound or until 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. I let it rest under a foil tent for 15 minutes and carve.

Oh! One good tip from Mad Max... Take the bird out of the fridge about an hour before cooking and while it is coming up to room temp put a gallon zip bag of ice on the breasts to keep them colder. That way the breast and thigh are done at pretty close to the same time.

Thanks, I never knew about the Google search. All other forums I am on, I can search within the forum. I didn't think I could do that on this forum. This will reduce the number of questions I will need to ask.

I try to keep the bird on the small size, or just smoke a breast or two. Definitely brine, rinse well, dry the bird well, then olive oil and whatever seasoning rub you like (plain ole S&P is just fine. KISS). Go easy on the smoke, 30-40 minutes per pound at *250-*275. The skin will not be what your used to, but it's so good without it you won't even care.

0131a.jpg

I have the same smoker you have, and prefer apple or pecan chunks for smoke.

IMG_7143-1.jpg

Back