Brisket alternatives?

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a practice cook coming up here in a couple of weeks. I plan on doing it up right with all the correct meats but, it did get me to wondering something. With briskets not always being the cheapest piece of meat to purchase, does anyone use different cuts of beef for practicing their brisket cooking on, Like a chuck roast or something of the like?

If all you are looking for is the flavor, just get one brisket and cut it into smaller pieces. You could also use chuck for practice, but I think it has a slightly different flavor.

When trying new flavor profiles I cut the brisket the long ways so that I have two flats and points to test.

Just don't forget which side has what flavors. Lmao!

I wanted to practice my Pot Roast, so I marinated a Point and didn't season it, foiled in the juices and it turned out fantastic!

Now I'm ready for that Pot Roast side category.......

... at least I can be relieved in knowing that I didn't ask a stupid question... :rolleyes:

I think I practice more then I compete and in my opinion its really hard to compare another cut of beef to brisket. I am fortunate to have friends who like brisket and they will let me cook them for them and I do my sampling and they get their brisket.They also donate some charcoal .

I wanted to practice my Pot Roast, so I marinated a Point and didn't season it, foiled in the juices and it turned out fantastic!

Now I'm ready for that Pot Roast side category.......

LOL!!! :laugh:

If not Brisket, then Chuck or Sirloin are probably the best bet for trying new flavor profiles.

I used to prefer Chuck over Brisket, then one day I learned how to cook brisket!

Check with your local pub, you’re in Wisconsin right, and see if they are interested in a crock pot full of brisket.

Out of accident we took some extra brisket to the bar on a saturday afternoon and the bartender/owner gave me a handful of drink chips as a thank you. The brisket still costs money but I drank for free that night. Plus you get lots of feed back from the patrons. Although be careful of feedback given for “free food”.

Tom, you gotta use brisket. You can't cook any other meat the same. Good question though.

:shocked:The only meat that comes to mind even remotely close is a clod, and they are expensive...

Back