Kalbi: Fire Grilled Korean Style Boneless Short Ribs

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Kalbi generally refers to a variety of grilled marinated beef short ribs in a Korean Style soy based marinade, usually consisting of soy, sugar, garlic, onion, and other ingredients.

The meat is usually cut in thin slices across or against the bones. This permits the marinade to penetrate the meat faster, and allows the meat to cook more quickly.

We happened to find some USDA Choice boneless short ribs that looked perfect for Kalbi. In order to more easily slice the meat into 1/4 inch thick segments, we put the meat in the freezer for about 30 mins, allowing it to "firm" up.

IMG_3725.jpg

Once the meat was sliced, we put it into the marinade and into the fridge for 48 hours:

IMG_3727.jpg

Setting up my Kingsford Oval for an indirect cook, the meat was placed on the cool side of the grill to warm up a bit, which allowed some time for the coals to get a bit hotter.

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

When the coals were blazing hot, the meat was placed on the hot side of the grill:

IMG_3737.jpg

After all the meat was cooked, I put the meat back on the cool side of the grill and brushed it with the remaining marinade and let it sit for a few more minutes:

IMG_3738.jpg

Here it is after I pulled it from the grill:

IMG_3741.jpg

And finally, plated with with fresh lettuce leaves, accompanied by The Missus' famous fried rice:

IMG_3743.jpg

Thanks for checking out my Kalbi!

Marinade Recipe for Kalbi:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup mirin
1 small onion peeled and finely grated
1 small Asian Pear, peeled and finely grated
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

This makes enough marinade for 2-3 lbs of boneless short ribs. For maximum flavor marinate meat at least 24-48 hours before cooking.

Wow, looks tasty!!! :thumb: Great minds must think alike because I have some boneless short ribs marinating in the fridge that I'm grilling up tonight!!

Phu's coming for dinna'!!!
Excellent looking meal!
Nice touch with those sesame seeds!
The fried rice looks very similair to Indonesian Nasi Goreng how I'm used to eat it.

That's good, really good:thumb: and they happen to be on sale here!!

Looks absolutely spectacular! Save me some cause I'm on the way :thumb:

Clean a grill grate whats that? I call it extra flavor. Just kidding. Anyways someone please tell me this doesn't look fantastic. Great job besides beef shank and short ribs are one of my favorites.

I have made this recipe, I think its the one, and love it. I believe it's from Steven Raichlen's, BBQ Bible?

Nicely done Moose, even if you are a slob of a grate keeper. I like kalbi and the fried rice looks pretty good too.

Man that looks awesome, thanks for posting the marinade recipe. I did have to google mirin but now I know what it is.

ps: There is nothing wrong with that grate, it just adds more flavor :thumb:

The hits keep coming - that really looks great! You ever eat the short rib stuff off the Kogi truck?

Back