Found a clean drum with a red liner and from what I've read the best way to remove is sandblasting. A local company will blast the interior for about $40. Is it worth messing with and will it make the drum useable? :confused: or should I keep looking for a better barrel/ I know the answer is in this forum somewhere but I could only look at 4000 of the 6466 posts:doh:.

Place in Charlotte has drums (I guess they still do) call them and see what they have. 704-392-5386

Down here in Charleston $30 buys you a nice clean reconditioned drum.

Doug

This is one HELL of a thread! I first posted on page three almost 3 1/2 years ago! Have made over a dozen cookers since then (and cooked a ton of meat on them!) Still no better cooker today! I am still cooking on my first drum! (and several others) Drums forever!!!!!!!!!!

So as a follow up on the Easy Off for the liner, I completely covered the lid with the oven cleaner. Let it soak for a couple hrs and scrubbed it off with soap and water. There was still a few spots of heavy liner here and there, so I just applied a second coat of cleaner. Let it sit for about an hour and again scrubbed it off with soap and water. No more liner.....

So as a follow up on the Easy Off for the liner, I completely covered the lid with the oven cleaner. Let it soak for a couple hrs and scrubbed it off with soap and water. There was still a few spots of heavy liner here and there, so I just applied a second coat of cleaner. Let it sit for about an hour and again scrubbed it off with soap and water. No more liner.....

Hey Thunderwagn, thanks for the info here and previous. Good to know for those of us who can not do a burn.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's good to know. I may give it try.

Well I'll be picking up my drum in about an hour let the sickness begin.

Picked up the drum! I cant wait to start on this thing over the weekend. My first cook on it will be a brisket and some MOINks next week.

Last edited:
Also whats the deal in finding expanded steel? Every HD I call has no idea what Im talking about or they say they only have aluminum.

Also whats the deal in finding expanded steel? Every HD I call has no idea what Im talking about or they say they only have aluminum.

Ya need to go in and look for it. HD does not always hire the sharpest knives in the drawer.I went into local one and got some paint and when i went to check out, there wasn't any cashiers. Asked and was told i had to use self check out.

If you have an Ace Hardware in your area I believe they have it also. I went to HD and got mine. I asked three sales people where it was and they didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found it myself. It's in the section where they sell small square pieces of sheet metal mesh type material, short pieces of steel square tubing, and flat stock. This is the best way I can describe the section.

Theres a place in Addison that sells reconditioned drums. Heres the site:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/drums/reconditioned_drums.html

Was like $65 with tax and all. Plus no liner to deal with but you will still need to burn it out.

Yep, guys are right. I called too and no one knew what it was. However, go into store and its right next to sheet metal and diamond plate. I found it in the one in Naperville on rt 59 and another one on Cermak and 17th (forget town).

I was thinking about doing a brisket and was wondering if anyone had any tips. A lot of the recipes I've read sound like they require alot of opening and closing the lid to mop. Not sure if I like that idea.

I was thinking about doing a brisket and was wondering if anyone had any tips. A lot of the recipes I've read sound like they require alot of opening and closing the lid to mop. Not sure if I like that idea.

I don't mop my brisket. Just remember- if you are a lookin' ya ain't cookin.
Just my opinion :thumb:

If you have an Ace Hardware in your area I believe they have it also. I went to HD and got mine. I asked three sales people where it was and they didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found it myself. It's in the section where they sell small square pieces of sheet metal mesh type material, short pieces of steel square tubing, and flat stock. This is the best way I can describe the section.

Yea found mine at Ace. The guy had no idea what i was talking about until I showed the big 24X24 box that says Expanded Steel :thumb:

It was def by all the sheet metal and diamond plating.

I got mine at Lowe's. It is in packs of 12" x 24", and you find it in the Hardware section, where the threaded rods, aluminum strips, and smaller pre-cut sheet metal. :thumb:

I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" expanded steel at a local steel yard. It cost $75, but a good buddy of mine bought 1/2. I built my fire basket and have some left over, for my next project.

Red liner

I tried the Easy Off trick on my red liner and it didn't do anything. Also tried paint remover and that didn't work either.....going to buy a refurbished one from Consolidated barrel in Mpls..

Back