Is this guy green or what!!

B

BillyH

Im new here and after staying up all night reading posts and opinions, Ive come to the conclusion that Ive never served bbq yet. Ive been a griller all my outdoor cooking life. This is all new and fascinating to me. I cant wait to get my Bandera but Im really afraid my first few attempts Im going to ruin some food. Yall gimme some tips on what to avoid and mainly how to keep from getting somebody sick!!! And what is pulling beef. I keep reading about people doing boston butts then pulling it. Is this mainly for sandwiches like a chop beef sandwich? Yall have to be thinking boy is this guy green...love to have him in a poker game..lol

Nope, we NEVER think like that! Never! :twisted:

It's ok!! We growl and bite but have all (even Brian!) have had our shots! We've also all been there -- brand new to this stuff called 'que.

Well, chopped beef is chopped with a knife or cleaver -- pulled is shredded/pulled by hand or maybe forks or bear claws -- texture is different. Same with the pork -- pulled pork is cleaned and pulled into chunks or shreds by hand.

Hang in there -- we can even have you doing 'que on a grill with indirect heat!! Wow your friends before you even get the 'dera seasoned!! :D
Write this on your hand and don't EVER forget it: "It's the cook, not the cooker!!" The cooker is a tool that the cook uses to make 'que - it can be a mega-$$ rig from Klose or a hole in the ground and the 'que can be wonderful or lousy -- and it all depends on the cook!

so its the cook not the cooker..hmmm . not that Im greedy or anything but maybe I'll just have to eat a round of everything I cook by myself before I experiment on anyone else...he he he I like that.. and besides that, if they dont like how I cooked something, theres always Tacco Bell...blah!!!!

I say start with indirect smoking with a Boston Butt. It is almost impossible to ruin. Keep reading and you will pick up some great tips on BBQ. And ask lots of questions. We like question!!

Going back to listening to Dr. John...

ah yes..Dr. John... didnt know you wuz a "nu-awlins" man...

and just so ya know. The boston butt is pork not beef.

Keep the questions coming, no need to be bashful. Like Dave said, we've all been there.

Billy, if you haven't already been there, check out the "Roadmap" thread at the top of the Q-talk forum index. It contains links to basic instructions for all the basic Q foods.

Chicken is a good beginner as it doesn't take very long, but I agree with Mista, pork butt is very forgiving and even your first time you'll impress yourself and anyone else you feed.
Best pointer I can give you is start with 2 digital probe thermometers, 1 for the pit temp and 1 for the meat. These will allow you to "see" whats going on while keeping the door shut.

When in doubt just ask. The guys on this site are great. Thing I like best is that everyone shares their success and failures.

Neil said:
When in doubt just ask. The guys on this site are great. Thing I like best is that everyone shares their success and failures.

Yes, yes, the Wonderful Failures!!! No better way to learn!!

Billy,
We were all new once.
In April I had just bought my Bandera and was a "New Guy" here.
Hell, I'm still a "New Guy" here--but I know how to hold a temp with quality smoke now.
I figure the rest will come with time :lol:

Ask away--these guys got the answers.
And, trust me, the answers work!

Welcome aboard!
TIM

Thanks a bunch guys....I'll put some pig on for ya one day..hopefully...

Neil said:

I can vouch for that. I have posted more failure stories than anything about the success. On the other hand, the fails can be good snackin, and a great lesson learned. Like the brethren say, ask the questions, somebody here has either an opinion or the answer. If they don't know they will find out about it, or point you in the right direction. Post how you do with your cooks the Brethren will help to make you impress all of your friends.

Yup, you cannot start out as a brain surgeon. Not that the pay would not be to bad. You will never know unless you ask.

Beef: Brisket and chuck roll tend to be the most common cust of beef people are smoking. However, beef tenderlions, tri-tips and other cuts get thrown into the mix from time to time.

Pork: Pulled pork = Pork shoulders, picnic, and pork butt. Of course you have pork ribs. Those come in two flavors. You have the baby back (I am sure you know them thanks to Chili's) and the spare rib. Baby backs are leaner and have just a little less meat, they take l;ess time to cook. The spareribs are a little more forgiving and can withstand more cooking times and heat. They tend to be a little fattier, but that is a good thang when you cook them low and slow.

Some of the best advice was given to me in another thread about starting with a few chickens on the first actual cook. By using chickens you can determine your cool and hot spots. Of course this cooking session would come only after you season your bandera well.

Back