The Meat is ON! My first Pork Butt w/pron

N

Newbquer

I'm doing my first pork butt for pulled pork today. Picked up a couple ~7 lb butts from a local butcher on thursday and used Bad Byron's Butt Rub on them after rubbing fresh crushed garlic on them and kept them in the fridge until this morning.

I thought I was going to freeze to death getting the "Portable UDS" fired up since it was only 40 degrees out at sunrise this morning... :roll:

Attachments

• DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 115
Sorry about the "freezing" temperatures down there! It's in the 50s up here right now :-D

Good luck with the butts and don't forget more pictures! :-D

My wife is asking if anyone has tried added anything like garlic, onions, herbs, etc in the foil with the meat when it gets to the foiling/wraping stage of the smoke?
We are kind of aiming at a southwestern style of pulled pork like carnitas. I'm using mesguite lump charcoal.

Also wondering about using the the cheap disposable aluminum roaster pans to put the meat in at foiling time and then cover with foil. I'm thinking that this will more safely contain the juices when it's done instead of the foil ripping open when trying to move the meat from the smoker to a pan on the way to the cooler.

That's looking delicious. Enjoy your smoke, pork butts are incredibly forgiving, they'll turn out delicious! I'm a relative newb myself, but I've done several pork butts to rave reviews!

That's looking delicious. Enjoy your smoke, pork butts are incredibly forgiving, they'll turn out delicious! I'm a relative newb myself, but I've done several pork butts to rave reviews!

Thanks for the support!
I'm not only new to smokeing, I've only ever grilled about a half dozen times in my life. To date I smoked one whole brisket (didn't realize I was starting off with not the easiest cut for my first smoke), a total of 4 fatties, and 3 pastrami's in two different smokes.
I've had various results in the learning process, but so far it's all been very edible and all the friends and family that have tried it have all loved it! :clap2:

My wife is asking if anyone has tried added anything like garlic, onions, herbs, etc in the foil with the meat when it gets to the foiling/wraping stage of the smoke?
We are kind of aiming at a southwestern style of pulled pork like carnitas. I'm using mesguite lump charcoal.

Also wondering about using the the cheap disposable aluminum roaster pans to put the meat in at foiling time and then cover with foil. I'm thinking that this will more safely contain the juices when it's done instead of the foil ripping open when trying to move the meat from the smoker to a pan on the way to the cooler.

The foil pan is fine ( I do it all the time)...as far as the other ingredients... I'm not sure how much flavor you'll get unless you mix the aujus (after cooking) in with the pulled pork (my suggestion). Never used mesquite before on pork...but you never know. Good luck! :cool:

The foil pan is fine ( I do it all the time)...as far as the other ingredients... I'm not sure how much flavor you'll get unless you mix the aujus (after cooking) in with the pulled pork (my suggestion). Never used mesquite before on pork...but you never know. Good luck! :cool:

I had trouble with ripping the foil when I did my first brisket so I bought heavier foil this time and then thought about the foil pans last night...
My wife is on her way back from the store right now with a couple of the foil pans.

Mesquite is very common down here in the southwest. I haven't been successful in finding lump locally in any other specific hardwoods, only some raw chunk smoking wood. The only thing so far for hardwood lump charcoal was mistery wood, it didn't specify what was in it. I think that would be hard to have consistancy in a cook not knowing what was in it.

Wont be long before you will have to change your screenname. :)

Ok, just got to 165F so my wife chopped up some onion, selantro and some garlic cloves into one of the foil pans and we transfered one of the butts into that and the other without. It will be interesting to see the difference in the juices to add back after pulling. ?:idea:?

Attachments

• DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 67
Freeze to death at 40 degrees? :laugh:
I don't think you would enjoy some of my smoke sessions.:-D

I do the foil pan sometimes, it works out. I like to take the drippings in the pan and make a sauce out of it like JD said. Some onions, peppers and garlic in the pan during the cook is good as they will get some brown goodness and mingle with the pork drippings making for a better sauce.

Freeze to death at 40 degrees? :laugh:
I don't think you would enjoy some of my smoke sessions.:-D

I do the foil pan sometimes, it works out. I like to take the drippings in the pan and make a sauce out of it like JD said. Some onions, peppers and garlic in the pan during the cook is good as they will get some brown goodness and mingle with the pork drippings making for a better sauce.

I lived in south central Oklahoma in my teens and decided I don't like cold weather much. And yes, I do know that Okla. weather is mild compared to areas farther north. :-o
I'm ok now, it's up over 70 degrees and all sunshiny now! :rolleyes: :-D :laugh:

The extra onions and stuff is the seasonings my wife uses when she does pulled pork in the oven. Looking foward to the added smokey flavor to it all.

I'm glad you thawed out, I don't think I would enjoy some of your summer smoke sessions....I'd melt...or because it's dry heat maybe I'd be jerky....mmmmmm jerky. The butts look good buddy! :thumb:

Ok, it's 1 pm and my temp alarm just went off at 195F internal. With the slightly larger of the two butts at about 7 1/4 lbs I wasn't expecting it to be done until after 4pm with the 6 am start. I'm not positive that the temp probe is not in a fat vein. My smoker temps have been really good this time (finally getting better at controlling them) with a min of 210 and max of 280 and most of the time between 230 and 260. This is from the 12" Tru-temp probe just under the grill and the one on the weber lid showing about 10 to 30 lower.

Should I just let it go until 4 pm and then probe it to see if it's really done or pull it off at 205 internal?

I would probe it now. It is possible that it is done. It's best to check just in case. If it feels done just put it in a dry cooler with some towels or clean newspaper for insulation nd it will stay hot until you're ready to eat.

Yea I use similar technique and love it. the juices left over are great for mixing with a little vineger for sauce so dont put to much garlic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probe it now. It is possible that it is done. It's best to check just in case. If it feels done just put it in a dry cooler with some towels or clean newspaper for insulation nd it will stay hot until you're ready to eat.

The internal temp probe is now showing 203. Probed the smaller of the two butts and pulled on the bone and it's not quite ready according to my wife.
So I'm thinking recheck hourly until it probes good and the bones pull easy?

Back