Brisket Fat Cap Down Test Results

BigAl

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Bdrothers, Monday I smoked my first fat cap down brisket. From another of my posts:

10 lb Brisket, full pot of Beans, rack of BBR above a full cast iron pot of beans above heat sheild going since 9 am with smoke fron Tim's FL Oak how better can a Monday get unless you gots a job! :wink: :D

Brisket was in frig for 24 hrs with www.TexasBBQRub.com applied over Worcestershire Sauce... Ribs same except Honey before dry rub applied.

About 10:00 pm, the Temp probe in the flat showed 195, it had jumped from 175 an hour earlier. So I figured it was gonna be real dry since water boils at 199 here. Doubled foiled it and into the cooler with that big pot of beans above it in the cooler. Covered the cooler with a blanket. About 12 hrs later, my Pal came over to help me cover the Prairie Dog mounds and when done, we opened the cooler and had a feast on the still warm brisket and beans.

The brisket flat was very moist and had great smoke penetration and flavor :D

Fat Cap down worked great, I will continue doing briskets this way. :D Beans and last couple of BB ribs were great.

Any one else try Fat Cap down?

BigAl....I smoked a brisket fat cap down over the fourth holiday. That is before I had control of my fire tending. I had a major bon fire going, temp shot up to 450*. I went ahead and bagged it at 160* and left in there until I had a internal temp of 190*, put it in the cooler for four hours, and when I cut into the meat it was also moist and tender. I think the fat barrier not only saved the meat, but my arse as well, I had many people waiting to eat. They enjoyed every little scrap of meat.

I cook fat side down and believe that it does a great job protecting from drying out. Logic always was that the fat would render and pass throught the meat keeping it moist, but if you look how the meat is constructed it is a bunch of cells each holding moisture like a small bag. As the cells break that moisture is released, not when exterior fat has been rendered and that is how the brisket remains moist.
I really believe that fat side down will become the standard for cooking brisket as time goes on.

I could not imagine a Brisket cooked fat side up could get any better! I can't wait until I do another brisket fat cap down. I have read many threads regading smoking with the fat cap down, but this one put me over the fence.

Y'all wouldn't listen to me or Al, its good you'll listen to JM.

kcquer said:
Y'all wouldn't listen to me or Al, its good you'll listen to JM.

I listen to Al. That's how I know that Spam is on the Olympic Training Table.

Good info all............I've been cooking fat cap up, I may have to try it in reverse........

Me too! I have been cooking fat side up. Using the same thinking of the fat runs thru the meat. Might have to try it fat side down as well.

Im not sure if you guys are interested, but I stumbled on a article about brisket telling this persons theory on brisket, fat cap up or down. I do not have the link, but would be glad to fax a copy to Phil and maybe he could post it. It goes through the whole process of smoking brisket, most of which is the way you all do it anyway. He puts in simple easy to understand terms. It is six pages long though. It is called "Beef BBQ Brisket- A Texas Tradition"

If fat side down is the best way, why not trim the fat off on the down sude? What use does it serve if it does not keep the brisket moist by being on top.

CaptFrank said:
If fat side down is the best way, why not trim the fat off on the down sude? What use does it serve if it does not keep the brisket moist by being on top.

I have been told that it works as a heat barrier. The article explains it all.

CaptFrank said:

As Jim said, "
jminion said:
I cook fat side down and believe that it does a great job protecting from drying out.

It serves as a protective barier of fat since all the heat is comming up from the bottom, allowing the meat not to dry out.

Smitty's in Lockhart maybe? 45 min- 1 hr. east of Austin. Never tried their product, or plugging a brisket with fat.

Al, .............. how long did you cook it and at what temp?

Do you think it would be a good idea to foil and place ribs/butts/chicken in a cooler for a 12 hour period as well?

I would think all those hours in that warm foil will slow cook the meat until it falls apart.

I have to do a large cookout in several weeks and am thinking of foiling everything up the night before?

willkat98 said:
I got a Texas BBQ Pit Masters cookbook that talks about plugging their briskets with fat. Anyone try this?

Think it was Smitty's in Austin

I did it once. Honestly, it didn't seem to add much to the finished product.

But, the next time I plugged it with a mixtured of chopped garlic, oregano, lemon, salt, pepper and some butter. My grandmother always did this when she cooked pork in the oven, so i figured what the hell.

Man, that was good eating.

As for the book, was it Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses by Robb Walsh?

Great book. Try the west Texas potato salad recipe. Mustard, feta cheese and olives. Excellent.

kcquer said:
It is called "Beef BBQ Brisket- A Texas Tradition"
There is a link to that article in the Q-talk road map in the brisket post.

KC............I have been looking for that link every where and could not remember where the hell I got it from. I got it from you...LOL. That is a good piece on brisket. I made two briskets using that advice, and both turned out good.

could not remember where the hell I got it from. I got it from you...LOL.
And I got it from Brother Kick, that article has been around like....well, make your own joke. It is an excellent read. Thanks again SK!

The big error in the "fat cap up self basting" theory is that a solid fatcap is prettymuch inpervious to smoke, spice or anything. As the fat cooks from the outside in, the uncooked lower portion forces the melting fat from the outer layer to just roll off and into the bottom of the pit. The fatcap is much better utilized to protect the meat from the heat rising from below.

Back