• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "From the Heart" Throwdown!

Sweet baby cheeses, we're really getting some fine entries at the home stretch! Bravo!

:clap::clap2:

Mongo's from "From the Heart" entry

Mr Bigus Bytus,

Here is my feeble entry into the "From the Heart" Throwdown. My mission tonight is two fold; first to support brother Bill's TD :mrgreen: and second to gain entry into CD's exclusive Whiplash Club... :tsk:

While my wife isn't much of a meat eater, she does love pastrami, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on marbled rye. With that in mind, I decided to make and dedicate the following meal to my better half. :hug:

Since I've never made pastrami before, I decided to follow Thirdeye's famous recipe. I started with a 4.5# store bought corned beef flat and soaked it in frequently changed water for two days as instructed. Once done desalinating :twitch:, I rubbed it generously with the recommended spice mix and chilled it for 24 hours. Here it is right before going on for smoke:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Now on to the bread. I wasn't able to find and marbled rye locally so I decided to make my own. After doing a little research on the internets, I found a recipe that looked easy enough. Pretty basic bread recipe, with the addition of rye flour and molasses and cocoa powder for the dark rye.

Here are the two yeasts fermenting for the two different flours.
edit_preview.php

Adding some molasses to the yeast, plus adding cocoa powder to the flour makes the dark rye.
edit_preview.php

Dark rye ball getting ready to proof.
edit_preview.php

Light rye ball getting ready to proof.
edit_preview.php

Once they doubled in size in about an hour half and a half, they were punched down, divided and rolled into four separate sections.
edit_preview.php

Those four sections were then layed alternately and rolled up tight. Once rolled, they went into the pan to rise again before baking.
edit_preview.php

While all the bread making was going on, the flat was close to being done. Once it hit 150, I foiled it with some beer and took it up to about 175. Once done, I doubled wrapped it in more foil and set it aside to cool.
edit_preview.php

The bread baked for about half an hour at 350 at which time it was pulled and set on a rack to cool.
edit_preview.php

Cross section showing the dark and light rye.
edit_preview.php

Now time to slice the pastrami. I think I ate one slice for every two I put on the plate...:tsk:
edit_preview.php

And voila... Pastrami, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on marbled rye. :mrgreen:
edit_preview.php

Please use this shot to punch my ticket into the Whiplash Club...
edit_preview.php

By the time it was all said and done, I didn't feel like dorking around anymore with the camera and wanted to eat a warm dinner for a change. I was pretty disappointed with the final pictures :mmph:, but very happy with the yummy results. :becky:

My wife was also very pleased which in the end is what this meal was all about. Thanks for looking and withholding your vote... :whoo:

This is my official entry into the "From The Heart" TD.

This "From the Heart" entry has a smoked traditionally raised pork shoulder, grilled sweet potatoes, cauliflower salad and 'Rum and Butter Pineapple Boats' for dessert. My partner, Carol, and I cooked a delicious feast for good friends. It was a beautiful day around a table filled with beautiful people and beautiful conversation. Adele wanted a vegetable salad, Louise wanted grilled sweet potatoes and the pork shoulder was for both because I love how they they tear into bark with gusto! I don't know anybody who loves bark as much as them so they are my favourites to smoke a shoulder for. It was their first time eating Rum and Butter Pineapple Boats and they loooved them!

I had really full days the day before and the day of this dinner so my apologies for not taking prep shots. I smoked the shoulder overnight and didn't wake up to check temps so I ended up smoking it mostly at 300 and didn't get much of a smoke ring. It was really delicious, though. Made a rub of granulated garlic, ground ginger, ground cumin added to a spicy Cajun rub from 'The Fiery Grill" in Muskoka, Ontario, where they use it to make blackened chicken and catfish in their restaurant.

SIMG0039.jpg

SIMG0042.jpg

Please use this picture below for the voting thread.

SIMG0045.jpg

SIMG0046.jpg

Carol grilled the sweet potatoes, pineapple boats and made the cauliflower salad.

SIMG0050.jpg

SIMG0064.jpg

SIMG0066.jpg

SIMG0076.jpg

SIMG0077.jpg

It was a lovely meal made more lovely because of the theme of this throwdown. Thanks, Bill!

Revised Mongo's Official entry for the "From the Heart" TD

Mr Bigus Bytus,

Here is my "revised" feeble entry into the "From the Heart" Throwdown. My mission tonight is two fold; first to support brother Bill's TD :mrgreen: and second to gain entry into CD's exclusive Whiplash Club... :tsk:

While my wife isn't much of a meat eater, she does love pastrami, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on marbled rye. With that in mind, I decided to make and dedicate the following meal to my better half. :hug:

Since I've never made pastrami before, I decided to follow Thirdeye's famous recipe. I started with a 4.5# store bought corned beef flat and soaked it in frequently changed water for two days as instructed. Once done desalinating :twitch:, I rubbed it generously with the recommended spice mix and chilled it for 24 hours. Here it is right before going on for smoke:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Now on to the bread. I wasn't able to find and marbled rye locally so I decided to make my own. After doing a little research on the internets, I found a recipe that looked easy enough. Pretty basic bread recipe, with the addition of rye flour and molasses and cocoa powder for the dark rye.

Here are the two yeasts fermenting for the two different flours.
edit_preview.php

Adding some molasses to the yeast, plus adding cocoa powder to the flour makes the dark rye.
edit_preview.php

Dark rye ball getting ready to proof.
edit_preview.php

Light rye ball getting ready to proof.
edit_preview.php

Once they doubled in size in about an hour half and a half, they were punched down, divided and rolled into four separate sections.
edit_preview.php

Those four sections were then layed alternately and rolled up tight. Once rolled, they went into the pan to rise again before baking.
edit_preview.php

While all the bread making was going on, the flat was close to being done. Once it hit 150, I foiled it with some beer and took it up to about 175. Once done, I doubled wrapped it in more foil and set it aside to cool.
edit_preview.php

The bread baked for about half an hour at 350 at which time it was pulled and set on a rack to cool.
edit_preview.php

Cross section showing the dark and light rye.
edit_preview.php

Now time to slice the pastrami. I think I ate one slice for every two I put on the plate...:tsk:
edit_preview.php

And voila... Pastrami, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing on marbled rye. :mrgreen:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Please use this shot to punch my ticket into the Whiplash Club...
p1250542.jpg

(This was a better money shot...)

By the time it was all said and done, I didn't feel like dorking around anymore with the camera and wanted to eat a warm dinner for a change. I was pretty disappointed with the final pictures :mmph:, but very happy with the yummy results. :becky:

My wife was also very pleased which in the end is what this meal was all about. Thanks for looking and withholding your vote... :whoo:

Tarhog, awesome awesome, I like your ingredients. Always think a little outside the box. Great Job!!!

Back