UDS Double Rack Cooking Tips

DDave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I will be smoking some grub for a family gathering next weekend. Not a huge crowd but a chance to use the two racks on the UDS. I figure I'll do a couple of butts on the bottom rack and three racks of baby backs on the top. I'll have something available to set the top rack on off to the side for when I need to mess with meat on the bottom rack.

Does anyone have any double rack cooking tips they'd like to share as far as positioning, shuffling racks to get to meat etc.? Any things to watch out for?

Thanks.

Dave

All I do is make sure you dont 'fill up' the bottom rack, this assures you have plenty of heat and smoke going up and out.

If you're using probe thermometers for the lower level butts, think things through and know where you'll have the cables running.... preferably not through the top rack. :)

When you take the top rack off to fiddle with stuff on the bottom, remember to go ahead and spray, etc. on your top rack meats while you have them out (and the lid back on, of course!).

After putting on my lower level meats, I give the drum time to come back up to temp/stabilize before adding the top rack meats. Trying to do both at the same time brings on one of those major temp spikes.

Folks are gonna be impressed by the multi-level cooking... enjoy!

I have access holes drilled at every rack level for simplified routing of the individual temp probe wires. Makes keeping up with what wire is where easier IMHO.

Same as always....
Light drum.
Load drum.
Walk away.
The ribs on top are a good idea as they'll be done way before the butts.
Shouldn't have to do anything to the lower rack as the ribs will be basting the butts for you! :cool:

yeah, what they all said above,...just make sure your bottom rack is NOToverly stuffed that no air can circulate thru...

I think you have it planned out pretty well with butts on the bottom and ribs up top. The only thing that comes to mind is that if you have to open to be as quick as possible to prevent heat spikes. If you're going to sauce your ribs it would be a good idea to remove the top grate ribs and all so you can sauce them with the lid still on the UDS.

It sounds like you know all about that though.

Probably goes without saying....but i always close the bottom intakes whenever I take the lid off. Not positive it helps, but I've always done it and the temps don't seem to spike too much.

Close down your intake vents before doing anything that involves the bottom rack, except for a quick spritz. Otherwise you'll be surprised the temperature spikes that can occur! Don't ask me how I know! :mad:

Dang I answered the phone and got beaten out on my answer!

Last edited:
Close down your intake vents before doing anything that involves the bottom rack, except for a quick spritz. Otherwise you'll be surprised the temperature spikes that can occur! Don't ask me how I know! :mad:

Dang I answered the phone and got beaten out on my answer!

How long before do you shut it down? I've been having issues with major heat spikes and can't seem to get it worked out!

Same as always....
Light drum.
Load drum.
Walk away.
The ribs on top are a good idea as they'll be done way before the butts.
Shouldn't have to do anything to the lower rack as the ribs will be basting the butts for you! :cool:

What Bubba said...^^^:p

Shut the intakes down to fully closed for at leat 5 minutes to burn the air out, do the shuffle of meat and grates, then leave the intakes closed for another 5 minutes and then set to your normal settings on the intakes. Just a thought. Experiment and let us know what works as we all can learn.

Anything from a minute to 3 or 4 at the most, then off with the lid and crack on with whatever you are doing, if it means removing the top rack, then get the rack out as quickly and safely as you can, if you're going to work on the meat from the top rack out of the pit, put the lid back on while you work.

If you're going to work on the meat on the bottom rack after you've worked on the meat from the top rack, take the lid off and work at the meat, put th elid back on while you sort out about putting the upper rack back in.

Then take off teh lid load the upper rack, re-lid it allow it another 2 - 3 minutes then ope your bottom vents again.

Yeah, watch the temp spikes. I always shut her down for around 5 minutes before I open the lid. My wife saw the UDS hit 250 deg tonight and decided to "help me out" while I was cutting the grass. She OPENED all four vents thinking that would let more air in and reduce the temp.:shock:

When I checked it it was at 380+ and still going up! Good thing it was just some country ribs which were almost done anyway.

Shut the intakes down to fully closed for at leat 5 minutes to burn the air out, do the shuffle of meat and grates, then leave the intakes closed for another 5 minutes and then set to your normal settings on the intakes.

That's pretty close to where I'm at on this ..... still playing, though :rolleyes:.

Drumheads...this is a real simple technique most folk ignore but is VERY IMPORTANT in temp control. At least this works for me. JMHO.

Back