Jambalaya

Tasso is a must in my Jambalya and gumbo. Cajun cured ham, shiirrtttttt, cant go without it. Andouille as well.

Note to self:
put jumbalaya in the rotation this week
done!!
jumbalaya.jpg

Dayum! That looks real good. I love the no trinity part, I've never tried that. I mean, why the hell shoudl you HAVE to? In my head, I'm thinking if I'm cooking this right now I'm doing the roux, but otherwise just like you got it here. I'm hungry.

no roux??

Although Noah and some others may shoot me for saying this, but the roux in not essential. I do it for mine as I use Noah's recipe but BigMista made some for me without and it was damn fine stuff. :icon_cool

Although Noah and some others may shoot me for saying this, but the roux in not essential. I do it for mine as I use Noah's recipe but BigMista made some for me without and it was damn fine stuff. :icon_cool
I won't shoot ya, but I just might send a bottle of KC Masterpiece...:twisted:

You don't have to have the roux. I use it because it brings a depth of flavor and subtle warmth to the dish. The only time I feel that it is really needed is with strong tasting meats such as squirrel, dove, or nutria... Mista might not use the roux in his jambalaya, but he sure does rely on it for his gumbo!

As for the trinity, you need this just like you need the onions and carrots for a soup base. Yes its a little more work, but the differences are night and day.

Lastly, if you make it without roux or the trinity, then what ties it back to Louisiana besides the name?

Attachments

• Jambalaya 2.jpg
    Jambalaya 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 39
P.S. If someone would buy me a bottle of good bourbon and fly me to California, I'll put my Jambalaya and Gumbo up against Mista anyday! With that said, I could use a little schooling with his balcony brisket...;)

Tried your recipe last night

Jambalaya027.jpg

It was Good!

Thanks

Looks good. I've still yet to get my fingers into some Jambalaya didlin'.

Still, best Jambalaya I've ever had, hands down, was in this little homey joint in Wichita. The chef wore some dang nice pants for cookin'!

Back