Thanks to everyone at Oinktoberfest!

D

Double D's BBQ

I'd like to thank everyone at Oinktoberfest from George and Barb and the staff who literally saved my life on Friday morning. I had just gotten to the competition when I came down with severe leg cramps. They were so bad that I had to get out of my truck and was doubled over with pain trying to walk the cramps out. After about fifteen minutes the cramps subsided and we started setting up. I started to feel a little bit dizzy so I tried to make it to the rest room to splash some water on my face. I became very disoriented and then I can only go by what others tell me because I don't remember a thing, I blacked out and went into convulsions. Someone at the contest administered CPR to me while help was being called. The next thing I remembered was that I was in an ambulance with two EMT's working feverishly over me. The quick action on the part of everyone there definitely saved my life! I was rushed to the emergency room of a nearby hospital and given many tests including a CAT scan over the next 7 1/2 hours. The nurses and doctors at Millard Filmore Hospital were great to me and my family. I drifted in and out of consciousness that day so it was definitely not as stressful on me as it was my family. A CAT scan confirmed that I had a seizure. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon with a neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic. Hopefully they will be able to get to the cause of the problem.

I'd also like to thank several members of the barbecue community that pulled together and helped my son and my friend get the meat prepped and put on the cooker for me. Everyone specifically mentioned Mike and his wife from Giggling Pigs as going out of their way to help our team. Their kindness and compassion was greatly appreciated. I called my teammate Mike around midnight to tell him that I was alright and to come on back to the motel but he told me that we were on schedule with the meats thanks to Mike and others and not to worry. You don't know who much that all meant to me and I can't think of another sport where competitors would lend a hand to help a fallen team except Barbecue! I made up my mind right there that I was going to make it back to the competition and I did early the next morning. We got all our meats turned in on time and had offers of assistance from literally everyone. I'd like to say that we had a fairy tale finish and got several calls but we didn't (we did take 7th in brisket though). I take great pride though that we were able to go the distance and finish the competition without withdrawing. It would not have been possible without the help given to my team. I'm still feeling a little woozy and am under strict orders that I can't drive or go to work until whatever I have is diagnosed and treated but the support that was given to me by my Barbecue Brethrens this weekend will last with me the rest of my life. Thanks so much to everyone involved. I wish I could mention you all by name but I know I would leave someone out if I attempted.

Congratulations to all who got calls at Oinktoberfest. The competition was top notch but the quality and caliber of the people is what I will remember for a lifetime. Thanks to all of you again!

Dallas, Donna, and Danny Packer
Double D's BBQ

Wow. That's some scary stuff. Take care of yourself Dallas. Health comes before anything que related.

Wow, like Clint said....some scary stuff and take care of yourself. I hope you have a good outcome tommorow. Please let us know:wink:

Like you said BBQ folks are the best, saw this first hand a few weeks ago in Silver Lake when a fellow had a heart attack.....everyone came together and did what needed to be done. Amazing!!! Again, good luck tommorow!!!

Get Well Soon Brother, Your team did you proud !!! Love your Jedmaster !!

They can be scary... my wife had one several years ago. I found her on the the living room floor....

Do take care of yourself, and hopefully it is only a one time thing. So far, that was the only one my wife had.

Glad all worked out ok so far. Hope to see you again on the circuit.

Bill
Smoke-N-My-I's

CPR was courtesy of a member of the R2BQ first-time team next to me.... We were standing around chatting when one of the teammates (can't remember which one) came back and told us of the events. Glad to hear you are doing better and getting to the bottom of it all!

Aaron Corette
8 Ball and the 'Que Sticks

Glad to hear that you're feeling better and about the comraderie of the BBQ community. Stories like this make me feel proud to be part of such a special collection of folks. Take care of yourself and best of luck.

Dallas,

Glad to hear you are doing better, and are going through the process of discovering what may have caused your condition. Thank you for the kind words. We were glad to help you guys out. Like we talked about Saturday, so many Teams have been good to us. This was an opportunity to give something back.

I was really hoping you guys would have got a call. Checking out the score sheets made me laugh too - we got beat by our own brisket! Double D's - 7th, Giggling Pigs - 11th!

It was great meeting your team! Take care of yourself, and be in touch.

Mike.

Back