MSG in a comp rub?

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud. I've seen a few rub recipes that call for Accent (MSG) and I was wondering what would happen if you were judging and had a problem with that stuff? If you had a few entries that were put in front of you that used it, would you be consuming enough for it to be a problem? I never knew of anyone that had issues with it so I don't know how much it takes to be a problem.

Theres lots of threads in here about the effects of MSG.. heres one I found... theres another with loads of details IM still looking for.

Thanks Phil. Sometimes I get lazy and skip the search.

Kirk said:
Just thinking out loud. I've seen a few rub recipes that call for Accent (MSG) and I was wondering what would happen if you were judging and had a problem with that stuff? If you had a few entries that were put in front of you that used it, would you be consuming enough for it to be a problem? I never knew of anyone that had issues with it so I don't know how much it takes to be a problem.

Anyone with an MSG problem better not judge because a whole bunch of cooks are using it.

agree with doc.. I'm not concerned bout it at comps because its everywhere.. I just gotta be careful what I feed the wife.

Msg

Their are alot of commercial rubs that contain MSG. My mother can not have MSG, it makes her sick. Therefore she does not eat much of my bbq.
Eric

I was a Smoke N fire in Kansas City and was talking to a guy that was looking for rub that did not have msg. We had a hard time finding some. thay have 30-40 rubs.

I look it at this way. Anybody with any type of food allergy should not be judging a food competition. They need to know what is in the food they are eating.

my wife found out that she was alergic MSG at an contest she was judging she broke out in hives and welts all over her body
now she is an table captan

I use Myron Mixon's original blend rub -- and I asked him about MSG -- with the original formula it didn't have MSG.

Now, that doesn't mean MSG isn't used at a contest!! A LOT of teams add a sprinkle while prepping the turnin box.

beam boys bbq said:
my wife found out that she was alergic MSG at an contest she was judging she broke out in hives and welts all over her body
now she is an table captan

Hey York! I wasn't aware that you'd signed up here! Good to see you... did you introduce yourself in Cattle Call yet?

Back