So I got all these peppers...

plowin-fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Couple of friends of mine know that I like to cook and cook spicy. So they felt obligated to bring me a bunch of peppers. I have an overflowing gallon pail of Habeneros. And a bunch of misc peppers. Looks like some asian chilis, some bell peppers, red jalapenos, and some other not so sure ones. First question: What are they? Second question: What do I do with them? Can I slice and freeze them, can them, eat them all and burn my o-ring away? Any help would be great!

Attachments

• DSCN0497.jpg
    DSCN0497.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0498.jpg
    DSCN0498.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 306
You can freeze peppers. I vacuum seal them with my Foodsaver first. When you thaw them, they won't be good to just pop in your mouth and eat, but they will work for cooking.

Like anything else you freeze, air is the enemy. The less air you have in the package, the longer they will hold up in the freezer.

You can also pickle them, and seal them in Mason jars.

CD

DEhydrate them. Thats what i do . Then when i need them i use my spice grinder

Can you let them air dry? I may know someone with a dehydrator i could use.

Yes, you can let them air dry, as long as the humidity in your house is not high. Some peppers air dry better than others. Meatier peppers take longer to dry, and can turn into science projects before they dry.

Anything you can do to create a warm, dry environment will help.

CD

Any sauces or such that use a bunch of Habs? Going to make jerk chicken this weekend with a few of them.

I had a batch about half that size last week and I asked the same questions. After Googling "hot pepper charts" I was able to identify all of the peppers that I had, mostly habanero varieties.

I decided to make my own pepper sauce and it turned out great.

I added all of the peppers after de-seeding and removing the membranes...use gloves. I added one medium onion, five-six medium tomatoes, about 1/2 bulb of garlic, tbls black pepper, 1/2 tbls salt, 1cup cider vinegar and 2 cups of water. After bringing to a boil, I let it simmer for 20 minutes and then took the immersion blender to it. I let it cool and then placed in vacu-sealed bags in the freezer for winter use.

I am really looking forward to jambalaya in the next few weeks. The flavor was hot, but the vinegar, onion, garlic and tomatoes gave it some substance. It actually tasted like a fiery tomato soup to me, but my wife thought it was just EVIL!

If you are planning of firing up the smoker smoke-um and freeze them.Great for sauces or otherwise.They pick up and keep flavor.

The pile in the middle appear to be Fresnos, the long skinny partially dried are probably cayenne...lots of pepper jelly and hot sauce in your future!

Make salsas out of them.... But you must take a bite and taste to see how hot they are first.
Pico de gallo with be a good idea if you like it.

We like to freeze a bunch of peppers this time of year. Makes good chili all winter long.

Dehydrated is fun too, but frozen is better for chili, if you like chunks of edible peppers in it.

The green on top left are bell peppers.Ones in ziplock look like cayenne.The yellow and orange and the two large red ones on the left are probably hungarian hot.The rest are jalapeno.

This is great stuff !!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blue Ribbon "Fire Starter" Hot Sauce

Recipe By : Rick Eagleton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
20 fresh red habanero peppers -- stemmed
2 cups yellow mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
8 fresh peaches (he recommends freshly picked peaches from Stilwell -- Oklahoma)

Combine all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Can in jars and pressure in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Enjoy with chips or as condiment. About three to four pints. ( I just froze mine in pint Tupperware type containers )

First Place, 2001 OK State Fair in Tulsa
Rick Eagleton, Tulsa OK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Can you let them air dry? I may know someone with a dehydrator i could use.

Caseydog already mentioned the humidity factor and he is correct. I air dried one season when I had a ton of peppers and some of them got mold growing in the middle. They looked fine on the outside (dried), but when you cut them open there was some white mold, which is usually harmless, but why bother when you have a ton of ones that dried fine. I did this about three years ago and still have a ton of dried peppers. I just don't know what to do with all the habeneros. You look like you are about to have the same problem.

One aside, if no one has mentioned this yet, you should smoke some of those peppers before you use or dry them. Totally changes the flavor.

Also, if you are going to make sauce, a food mill is your best friend for grinding all the peppers in batches without having to remove all the skin, seeds, stems, pith, etc. Look for a used one (cheap at a garage sale or goodwill), you won't use it all that often, but when you need it it's the right tool for the job. The flesh and juice goes through the bottom as the mill presses the peppers and the rest is left behind in the top to be thrown out.

I smoke and then dry some........grind and blend with other seasoning to make a special blend. The rest of them go into jelly......

Brad

Back