• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoking time calculator

You were RIGHT!!!

Guys!

You were right...You were right, you were right... I was LONG on the brisket.

I had the wrong times - but I've corrected them for this cut - both under 12.5 and over... It's a general rule of thumb guide - I know it will not be dead on but it'll be close in most conditions.

Go back and give the brisket calculator another shot and let me know what you think? If you need the link it's http://MeatSmokingCalculator.com

I'm sure you'll find the cook times for at least that cut of meat more in line now. ;)

PS. Please PM me on how you derive your meat weight. I use post-trim weight, un-seared.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!! Go ((#(*)@#)!

Fun times last night and today in Cali....

421614_10151236670285533_667245532_22915970_604466816_n.jpg

421486_10151236670695533_667245532_22915971_1020339561_n.jpg

425127_10151236672050533_667245532_22915974_2058329694_n.jpg

404520_10151236671465533_667245532_22915972_1188953886_n.jpg

401238_10151236672555533_667245532_22915975_1004717068_n.jpg

^^^I was thinking the same thing! :wink:

One of the reason I like to BBQ it don't take a lot of fancy equiptment or set rules .Fire, meat time = bbq

I tried to use it from my phone and it keeps giving Me an error saying I have to enter the finished time. I tried a bunch of different time formats in the block but always the same error.

I tried to use it from my phone and it keeps giving Me an error saying I have to enter the finished time. I tried a bunch of different time formats in the block but always the same error.

Hey there... Here's the date/time format: 02/09/2012 01:00 pm

Anyhow, yea, some mobile browsers have trouble with it. On the iPhone seems to work fine w/ Safari and SkyFire. iPad seems to work fine with Safari and Terra. I can't speak to Android at the moment but I am also working on mobile versions for all the above which should be ready in the next month or so.

Try that date/time format and let me know if it works for you. And thanks for writing....

Im sure 180 brisket is great if you never had one cooked to a tender juicy 195. :thumb:
Not bashing you or your system, i was bashing the posted cook temps. Are those yours?
Are you from SMF or just using his info?

Bubba...you were right... I did one at 225Ëš till 195Ëš and it was FREAKING AWESOME... I've adjusted the calculator recommendation accordingly...

Something also makes me want to make several database entries for certain cuts of meat based on the way people suggest them... This could be Bubba's Brisket at 195Ëš ;)

Thank you for suggesting. Otherwise, I would have not let it get that hot. (PS. I think a nice fat-cap on top helped - I didn't over-trim it before the cook.

John

Hey there... Here's the date/time format: 02/09/2012 01:00 pm

Anyhow, yea, some mobile browsers have trouble with it. On the iPhone seems to work fine w/ Safari and SkyFire. iPad seems to work fine with Safari and Terra. I can't speak to Android at the moment but I am also working on mobile versions for all the above which should be ready in the next month or so.

Try that date/time format and let me know if it works for you. And thanks for writing....

just tried it again, now I'm getting the calendar and sliding time bars.

Weird.

just tried it again, now I'm getting the calendar and sliding time bars.

Weird.

Great - that's what was supposed to happen. Were you able to select a time and date?

How'd it look?

John

I really want to thank you for making this. It is a great starting point - especially for us newbies. I just got a uds and will be trying several things this weekend. I will report back on the results.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

But a time calculator is a handy tool for determining timing for a novice cook. If you have never cooked a brisket how are you to know how long a 14lber is going to take? You put your info into the calculator and blamo-X number of hours, and then from that you take your BBQ rules for success and impelment them. It's just another tool in the tool box, and nobody has a toolbox with only one tool in it.

The best answer is always put the meat on a couple hours sooner than you think it will take. A long rest only makes the results better.

I really want to thank you for making this. It is a great starting point - especially for us newbies. I just got a uds and will be trying several things this weekend. I will report back on the results.

You bet. Honestly I first made it for myself and then figured I'd make it so that I could access it everywhere - which made it so everyone could access it.

It's not perfect of course (and I keep finding typos as well), but it's generally been fairly accurate. Of course there are always stubborn pieces of meat which stall for an eternity no matter what the temp - strange.

Anyhow, I l look forward to hearing back from you - let me know.

And again, as suggested by others, resting meat after the cook is a good thing - so when doing pork shoulders or brisket, feel free to calculate a long rest time. It'll allow for the meat to take a bit longer.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what I could add to improve it I'm always open to suggestions.

I thought about doing an app but it works in a browser so who needs that?

All the best!
John

I keep a notebook of every smoke I do. Date, temperature, weight, where I bought the piece and what I thought about the piece after I open it up. I write down temps and times and anything that will help me the next time. I also record what I used for my rub and sauce if used, if I foiled and if i put in the cooler and for how long.

I agree its a PITA but it works for me.
~Joe

I was thinking along the same lines, keep a book on whats been smoked, I'm breaking in my new Stumps, I had a weber before this, great smoker for what it was, I have a Guru with this and so far I've over cooked a couple of baby back ribs, I have to get use to this smoker, I've got two pork butts in now, gonna keep a close eye on them.

Back