Leftover charcoal in a kettle?

Keystone

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After my last cook I had quite a few unburned briquettes left. Well it has rained ALOT here in NW GA. recently, and I was curious as to how they would burn. Appreciate any insight. Edit. Kettle was outside under a cover, but with no roof over it if that makes a difference.

They will be fine.. I normally throw them on top of some fresh charcoal in the chimney or just toss a lit load of charcoal on top and let it roll

You should not need to even put them in the chimney, just spread them over the new coals after you dump the chimney. They light fast and burn quickly. Even if they absorbed moisture from the atmosphere they will dry out quickly.

I have been using a Performer lately, and there is always leftover charcoal from the last cook.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.. they'll do fine in our humidity.

Yep. What they all said. I will add that the light quicker with lit coals added to them. Lighting them in a chimney with paper will take a little longer than fresh. I like a chimney of used ones as I can spread them entire bottom of the grill and run a little lower temp for a good indirect steak cook.

We get lots of rain & humidity here too, brother. They will be fine. Add new on top & let 'er rip!

After my last cook I had quite a few unburned briquettes left. Well it has rained ALOT here in NW GA. recently, and I was curious as to how they would burn. Appreciate any insight. Edit. Kettle was outside under a cover, but with no roof over it if that makes a difference.

I always use it. Its a nice treat of having a good kettle. One with leaks all through it will burn all the charcoal up everytime- one that can be shut down when done will save charcoal by smothering the fire for the next use. It does tend to burn faster but works the same otherwise

Back