Weber Performer vs. a simple chimney starter

+1 on the gas assist. The paper in a chimney makes a mess with the smoke and black ash flying all over. I use a chimney with gas assist and after I see the coals start to smoke I turn the gas off. A small disposable tank lasts forever. For minion nothing easier than 6-8 coals over the gas assist to get em going. Yeah you can use a torch or other but place the coals and push the button is easy to get used to. I love the table but I really dig the 4 legs for stability and the wheels as I cover and push it near the house when cool. I would get the gas assist again if I had to do it over. YMMV

I've got a mid-90s Performer I bought on Craig's List a while ago. The tank is past certification so I haven't been able to get it refilled after it ran out. I've just been using a chimney starter and been happy with it. It's worth it for the table and the Weber quality.

That seems to be the only problem with buying an older Performer with one of the refillable tanks, or any older gas grill I guess. My mom got an older Weber Genesis Redhead in her divorce and I spent days trying to find someone to re-certify or refill the tank as-is. Since she had the old shove-in snap connector on it I ended up having to spend the money on an entirely new twist-on style style setup AND buy the newest style tank.

So be careful if ya go the used route and make sure if it has the little refillable tank that it has a good long while on the certification! Else you'll be hassled for days trying to get her going like I was.

That seems to be the only problem with buying an older Performer with one of the refillable tanks, or any older gas grill I guess. My mom got an older Weber Genesis Redhead in her divorce and I spent days trying to find someone to re-certify or refill the tank as-is. Since she had the old shove-in snap connector on it I ended up having to spend the money on an entirely new twist-on style style setup AND buy the newest style tank.

So be careful if ya go the used route and make sure if it has the little refillable tank that it has a good long while on the certification! Else you'll be hassled for days trying to get her going like I was.

I've been looking for a way to switch it up to use the 1lb disposable tanks like the newer models (since we use those for camping too), but haven't had much luck yet.

Back