Feeler for possible LI event, 1 day, grilling, peoples choice

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In talking with a good friend of mine, who also owns a butcher in Wading River, he would like to see if there would be any interest in a 2-3 category, 1 day grilling event. It would be held as peoples choice. All meats provided with the entry fee. A chicken, steak, and mystery category. General public pays $10 for 10 tickets type of thing. Keep the entry fee low, $100 or so, which includes the meat you'll need for the day.

Just want to see who would be interested in something like this before we get the groundwork laid out. Would like to keep it fun and casual, hopefully get some sponsors onboard so we can have some extra prizes and return most of the entry fee back to the participants. Also get a charity on board.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I know this won't be a full KCBS comp, but rather a day of grilling and hanging out.

If you're interested you can have a KCBS grilling contest. We held one last year in Las Vegas and Tommy has the in AZ. A great way to get new teams interested in competing. We did 4 meats wings, steak, hamburgers and hotdogs.

In my mind, a contest with a $100 entry is a Pro event and should be sanctioned. That entry may not be high enough to pay the costs of sanctioning though, so perhaps reducing the entry closer to $50.

Of course I'm not going to travel to New York anyway, so my opinion is probably worthless. ;)

This is very tempting for a southerner who has the majority of his inlaws living in the NYC/Philly area... And who has made his wife's family and friends nearly fall over with his food. Not bragging, just reading from the autobiography.

But wait...what's that...an email from the CPA.... WHAT??? oh well, maybe next year.

I think this would be fun. I am new here and have a three man team. We are hoping to go to the Maples this year. This would be a good trial run for us.

Sounds like alot of fun and I am sure I could round up a few teams from Eastern Long Island. The only problem I have had with peoples choice is certain teams having more friends etc... at event then others so they recieve more votes just because of that. Has anyone attended or participate in a People's Choice that perhaps is somehow "blind" to the public. I like fun, I think competition is fun- your gonna keep score I think you have to level the playing field, just saying.

The only problem I have had with peoples choice is certain teams having more friends etc... at event then others so they recieve more votes just because of that. Has anyone attended or participate in a People's Choice that perhaps is somehow "blind" to the public. I like fun, I think competition is fun- your gonna keep score I think you have to level the playing field, just saying.

I have to agree. As much fun as PC can be, unless you blind the judges (which is easy enough), the "competition" part ends up very unfair, it just becomes a popularity contest.

What venue were you looking at? I know the Riverhead BID still has some interest (they wanted to do a contest on the Peconic riverfront). I know the Riverhead Recreation Dept. would like to do a bbq contest. They did a grilling contest a few years ago. It was small and poorly advertised, but it was fun. It was in the picnic area of Stotzky Park.

So...I'd be interested, and I'd try to help. I don't have time to organize a big contest, but I will do what I can to help get it rolling, and I would certainly participate as long as all teams have a fair shot.

Chuck

You can have a blind judged portion where the teams turn in the same food that they are cooking in the standard turn-in boxes to a panel of judges in the store.

Let me know if you need any help setting things up.

Eric

Or can't you blind the "people" by having the contestents submit their food (for the masses) to a common area, and they are then labeled A,B,C,D etc. for people to taste? And so the team who submitted each entry is anonymous...? Not perfect, but it can work, no?

Back