BBR's turning out dry

wolfkeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooked a lot of ribs on other grills, but this was my first try on a new setup. Temp dropped to 175 for about 30 min while i had to leave. I quickly got it back up to 250 and finished them in 4 hrs. They turned out extremely dry. Could i have pulled them off too soon? Overcooked? I will provide more specific info if anyone is willing to try to help.

Thanks!

Need more info...

What type of cooker?
Were the thermos calibrated or verified for accuracy?
Direct or indirect heat?
Were the bones slightly exposed?
Were the bones slightly moveable when tugged?
Did the rack's crust crack when bent?
Any moisture (spritz) applied?

not really tough or mushy, just really dry. Could I have not cooked them long enough to get the fat to render down and make them juicy?

First off welcome to the forum, and nice avatar, man! (The Dude Abides)
Four hours does sound a bit long for BB's, and did you spritz them during the cook? I usually get my BB's to finish in three+/_ hours or whenever they're done, and I always spritz with apple juice. I find that helps a lot since they're pretty lean to begin with. What cooker were you using? Method? We needs ta know!

Need more info...

What type of cooker?
Were the thermos calibrated or verified for accuracy?
Direct or indirect heat?
Were the bones slightly exposed?
Were the bones slightly moveable when tugged?
Did the rack's crust crack when bent?
Any moisture (spritz) applied?

Big Steel Keg cooker
I have both keg and themo calibrated
bones slightly exposed, but not like I typically see from a good rib.
I would not say they were movable.
The crust did not crack like i would have liked.
Spritzed with some cider vinegar sauce.

Thanks!

even if it was only there for 30 minutes or so? You think that drop could have caused it?

I would say if your using a defuser on the babba most time the great would be like 25 degrees less.
If you were at 250 you would see the the pig candy coming to the top.
These were done on saturday char siu style naked.

CharSiuoffthegrill_zps12d7339c.jpg

Under most circumstances @ 225-250 would be around 4 hours total... give or take a half an hour.

Crust cracking, bones moving, and exposed bones are all good signs towards a finished rib.
Have cooked BB @ 300* (indirect) for three hours (unwrapped) - done.

Was there a deflector plate?

If they were dry AND not falling apart, I'd guess undercooked.

What crimsson said about grate temps being lower than a dome mounted thermometer also applies. Looking at your pic, I see the probe inbetween the ribs on the grate. I wonder if it was touching the meat or grate.

Try bend, poke, or bone pull test for determining when ribs are done.

My vote is overcooked. By the looks of that, the bone is just barely starting to pull back, it probably would have only needed another hour maybe.

Back