View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Bikaone
Found some matches.

I cook it on 220-240 with my Spicewine cooker. Than put the rub on a night before just like you. Take out the meat like 2 hour in advance to get to room temperature. Will cut done on the cooking time. I am using Tuffy Stone's competition dry rub recipe what is freely available on line.
FOR THE RUB:

½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup sweet paprika
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
¼ cup canola oil
2 racks St. Louis-cut pork spareribs (about 3 lb. each)

The only thing you shold be watching how much Cayenne pepper you mix in , his mix can be "hot" for some people so i recommend it to cut the heat it in half. Before the rub goes on it you need to coat it with mustard. Mustard is the bounding agent. Use a regular brush for that.Generously put the powder on it afterward.The rub got plenty of brown sugar, so you don't need to do anything beside cooking. When you got the desired color should be like 3-4 hours you can wrap it with foil so it wont dry out. The wood chunks only needs in the first 2 hours. Use only 4 pieces like the size of your fist. After that it not much use for it. It can make the meet taste bitter.I use cherry or apple. I got a water pan so i don't have this issue. If you can put some kind of pan, like the one for meat loafs full of water it helps with the moisture. Otherwise spraying with apple juice time to time but personally i think the water pan is a better option. If you need to refill just add "hot water". Timing always depends on the temperatures you go with it it hard to say.I say i would watch it after 4-5 hours. When its really tender you are done. Cut and taste.My ribs are incredible even with out sauce. But can be add in for an even better taste.
FOR THE SAUCE:
3 cups ketchup
1 cup dark brown sugar
¾ cup distilled white vinegar
2 tbsp. molasse
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. cayenne
½ tsp. ground black pepper