Butt - Fat up or Fat down?

When cooking butt - Fat up or down?

• Total voters
B

BrooklynQ

When cooking butt - do you do it fat side up or fat side down?

1. Fat up
2. Fat down
3. Doesn't matter

I used to do fat up - but started fat down to protect the bark.

Damn Dave -that was a fast answer. You responded faster than I could put the poll up.

I have always done pork with the fat up. Still do, but since the discussion of brisket a while back, and my side-by-side cook, I am seriously reconsidering. Fat down should work for pork butts just as well as brisket.

There is much more internal fat in Butt I haven't found it makes a difference. I take all the external fat off anymore.
Jim

i do fat up... cause if ya do it fat down, it sticks to the grate and peels off when you remove it.

fat down for briskets though.

I do fat up for the same reason that has already been mentioned. The fat on the butts gets stuck to the grates.

I like 'em butt up!

wait...

That wasn't the question, was it? :shock: :oops:

Oh... Pork butts! Fat side up. Prok fat seems to render better than beef fat, and it seems to get into the meat a little to keep things moist.

Actualy, I do mine 1/2 up & 1/2 down. I always rotate everything I cook.

I done butts both ways and haven't seen a difference yet. The internal fat is thick enough that it's not a basting issue, but it might just stick to the grates.

Fat side down but I do turn 3 times during first 6 hrs.

Fat down, never had an issue with sticking to grate.

Might try once with fat up, just to see what happens.

i trim off all the fat and apply the rub. butts still render alot of fat and the surface area that results in bark is increased.
phil

I've always done 'em fat down. No good reason, but I always like the bark.

BBQchef33 said:
i do fat up... cause if ya do it fat down, it sticks to the grate and peels off when you remove it.

fat down for briskets though.

What He Said Mod

Besides, I hate it when my butt sticks to the grate.

Back