Roll Call. Inside 30 days. St. Louis River Rub Oct. 7th - 8th $28,000 pot (upgraded site size and location)

I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...

I was there trying to drum up teams for my contest next week and heard more than once from guys competing that it was the "Last Annual St. Louis River Rub."

I hope they get it squared away and it goes off next year with Jimmy Buffet. It needed foot traffic and I saw little to none. There were all kinds of vendors with tents set up that were bored to tears as there just wasn't anyone there except for the teams. A headliner like Buffet would be good for that. It needed a lot more prize money, obviously. It needed more contestants. The location is great, right by the stadium, but they missed on some execution...

That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.

That's a great idea, but Buffet is a hard 'get' or has been in the past. I'll believe that one when I see it.

Agreed. I'll have a hard time believing anything from this particular organizer after this.

To be fair, though, from a competitor's standpoint, they really tried to make it nice. The site sizes were upgraded and they had a lot of volunteers who were always willing to fetch water and ice for the teams.

Aside from the money thing, there was - from what I could see anyway - only a minor issue with the electric and one of the volunteers' 5-6 yr. old daughter tried to drive one of the golf carts and ended up running into one of the competitor's truck.

I think the organizer just tried to do too much and overextended themselves. That and a lack of marketing probably doomed this event.

The big lesson here, I think, is start small, gain the momentum and make sure you can do what you promise you'll do.

Otherwise you'll end up like this organizer: slipping out the back door and watching your back the whole way.

I remember hearing about this event. I was so disappointed with the STL Rib America, that I didn't want to go to this one.

Rib Anerica cost us a small fortune for that. If I remenber, it cost the 4 of us $110 to get in and have 4 half slab plate lunchs with 4 - 12oz cans of soda. That was the last time for me.

Maybe others felt the same way?

I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.

I wonder what the future of this event would be and how the teams would of felt if the event had only advertised the $18,400 payout? Still good money. I wonder if all the teams would of still came for $18,400????? I would guess this thing could of been a real positive instead of a negative if more realistic numbers would of been advertised for payout. I would expect a little change in KCBS rules and procedures to insure funds are really available. Sounds like this guy could of just faked having the money longer since many contests take weeks to finally mail checks.

It sounds like letting this info go until after turn-ins would of been better in the long run. The meeting and distraction messed up some time lines, thus affecting quality of meat. KCBS wanted to not sit on the info so it didn't look like they had concealed anything after the fact. Bad situation for all involved.

My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.

My understanding is the KCBS BOD said the meeting had to take place to give any team a chance to opt out (which one team did take) - We can sit here and talk about someone else shoulda coulda woulda but it doesnt matter.

Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.

Not that it probably matters, but the team that dropped didn't do so because of what was happening. They did so because they were planning to cook hot and fast and something went wrong with their smoker and it burned up all their fuel in the middle of the night. They never even had ribs or chicken on. They were actually packed up before the meeting happened, so they just lucked out that they were able to get their $$$ back.

Thanks Neil, I figured it had to be something like that but i didnt know the facts, I just knew one team took them up on the offer to leave.

Quite lucky for them.

Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?

I was just guessing at the 200k. 800k is believable. I know Sammy Hagar is $150k in St. Louis. Kurt did actually suggest Buffett to me for 2012 at the AR.....:shock:

I heard the same thing at Herman! Having seen Buffett 9 times in concert I can honestly say that I have never seen him play at a BBQ contest! I have seen him at the MGM Grand, Sandstone, and 7 times at Tinley park in Chicago!

Do you realize the security needed just for the teams with tens of thousands of buffet fans running around? I mean imagine the munchies those parrotheads are going to have! Talk about stealing briskets!

Where's the g'damn salt?

I saw him this year here in STL. It was sold out. My lawn seats were like 35 each. I think the place holds 18000 people. Thats 630,000 without figuring in the expensive seats.

Yeah Greg, Neil is right about the guy who opted out. His space was directly behind us and sometime during the night he ran out of wood. He was trying to get the cooker hot with charcoal but it was not working. We talked a bit in the morning and he was really upset with himself. He and his son were there cooking together so he did get some quality family time but he was upset about the cooking. My guess is that if he HAD gotten the product cooked he would have turned it in, but by luck he is getting his money back. I think he is the only one that actually saw the silver lining in the happenings of the weekend. He never asked anyone for anything to help out. I told him that if he had gone to just about anyone around him they would have helped out in any way they could. Its a shame he didnt ask. Nice guy, just wasnt his weekend. I think he was from Iowa also, or the truck plates were from Iowa anyway.

Troy

Back