• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Ribs Ever! - Chris Lilly Memphis Dry Rub Ribs - Sorry no prOn

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
My family and I just ate 4 slabs of Chris Lilly Memphis Dry Rub spare ribs, St Louis style. 5 out of 5 people said they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. They even said it was better than Bandanas (a local St. Louis BBQ place). Tasted so good that no one used any of my homemade KC Red BBQ sauce. The rub really made it the best.
I used the toothpick test and the bend test. Both tests helped me get them just right. Not fall off the the bone but you had to bite to get it off the bone and the bone was clean.

Sorry, everyone was so hungry there wasn't time to get pics, so it I guess it didn't happen.

Thank you Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson and all The Brethren for my best ribs ever!

Great to hear! I've done a lot of things out of his book, but I haven't done them yet.

I guess I know what I'm cooking next week. :thumb:

Folks that like ribs, like ribs.Folks that like sauce...well,they like sauce!:thumb: Cause they........,nevermind.

Folks that like ribs, like ribs.Folks that like sauce...well,they like sauce!:thumb: Cause they........,nevermind.

Now that was funny.

Glad you liked 'em Pappy! I never sauce my ribs. Looks like a good rub recipe and the vinegar sop at the end I'll have to try.:thumb:

And here I just did ribs this weekend. I've got his book so this just gives me an excuse to do ribs again soon.

Just curious, how did the vinegar bath enhance the ribs at the end? I've never heard of this before...

I would imagine it's a flavor enhancer - similar in concept to what they do with their pulled pork which is to pour a "sauce" made of pure vinegar, cayenne and lemon slices. A little dab'll do ya and it's great on the sandwiches. I'm definitely trying it.

I would imagine it's a flavor enhancer - similar in concept to what they do with their pulled pork which is to pour a "sauce" made of pure vinegar, cayenne and lemon slices. A little dab'll do ya and it's great on the sandwiches. I'm definitely trying it.

I figured as much. In addition to some of the ingredients in the dry rub, which I haven't used on rib rubs before, two things stand out about the prep of these ribs that I've never done before, which is the vinegar dunk and the reapplication of the rub just prior to cutting. I wonder how much of a difference these two techniques make in terms of flavor enhancement?

I guess there's only one way to find out...

I figured as much. In addition to some of the ingredients in the dry rub, which I haven't used on rib rubs before, two things stand out about the prep of these ribs that I've never done before, which is the vinegar dunk and the reapplication of the rub just prior to cutting. I wonder how much of a difference these two techniques make in terms of flavor enhancement?

I guess there's only one way to find out...

Yeah. You did notice how much brown sugar the rub recipe called for in comparison to the rest of the ingredients. The vinegar ought to compliment that.

Just curious, how did the vinegar bath enhance the ribs at the end? I've never heard of this before...

Glad you asked. I forgot to water the vinegar down like the recipe said to do. I just brushed it on full strength, pretty heavy, all over the meat side side of the ribs and then added a simple even coat of the rub. I'm still shocked how the rub was so sweet tasting. I really couldn't taste the vinegar by itself. Everything blended together to make IMO the perfit rub for pork.

I will have to try that next. I have been hooked on Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub on my ribs, lately. But, I'm always open to a new taste.

CD

Back