Kobe brisket at Sam's club

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I noticed that sam's club online had 12-14# kobe briskets for $80 including shipping. Has anyone cook with these, how's the quality?

Oxymoron???

Not sure I get the "Kobe Brisket" concept...isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? Sort of like "French Intelligence"?

Isn't the idea of "low and slow" all about inexpensive & less tender meats being turned into something delicious and economical?

As someone who has lived in Japan (and knows Kobe beef) and also involved in the beef business, I think a choice ribeye at $6.00/lb from Costco will end up being both cheaper and tastier if that is what you are after.

Just sayin'...

Not sure I get the "Kobe Brisket" concept...isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? Sort of like "French Intelligence"?

Isn't the idea of "low and slow" all about inexpensive & less tender meats being turned into something delicious and economical?

As someone who has lived in Japan (and knows Kobe beef) and also involved in the beef business, I think a choice ribeye at $6.00/lb from Costco will end up being both cheaper and tastier if that is what you are after.

Just sayin'...

Have you ever cooked a kobe beef brisket before?

Just sayin'...

I'm tellin' my wife the same thing on the phone right now! :thumb:

So, if it is Akaushi then it is not Kobe, small difference I suppose, unless you are from Kumamoto or Kyushu areas. Totally different steer line.

Just sayin'...
Of course I'd go for the ribeye, but I don't think they'd let me cook a ribeye at a contest and turn it in as brisket. :-D

In your backyard, yes definitely. In competition, no, the idea is to get the absolute best tasting and tender meat you can possibly produce off your cooker by noon on Saturday (Sunday in the Northeast).

Kobe beef, hell no. Wagyu, definitely.

Kobe=Wagyu but not vice-versa.

Sam's is selling "Texas Kobe", a bit misleading perhaps. Kobe is one of many prefectures in Japan (others include Akaushi, Omi, Mishima, etc) where the breed WaGyu (literally "Japanese cattle") are raised. Only beef from Kobe can truly be called "Kobe Beef". Wagyu however can originate from many countries. Australia, New Zealand and now the US have large herds, although most "American Kobe" is crossed with Angus. The American Wagyu Association requires only 25% bloodline to be sold under the Wagyu name. So even if you are buying Wagyu briskets, they may be 75% Angus :shock:

Further reading for those interested:

http://www.7dvt.com/2010wagyu-beef

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagyū

http://www.wagyu.org/default.htm

I want to know who buys the 6 pack of Kobe hot dogs for $38!! :crazy:

It is probably because my family, in part, is from the southern part of Honshu, but, saying Akaushi is Kobe style, is like like saying a Hereford is Angus-style. They are all Wagyu (Wa=Japanese gyu=cattle) but, what is Kobe is distinctly different from what is Akaushi, I guess a moot point for BBQ. But, there is a difference for the folks that raise them and have worked to differentiate them.

The Sams page and the the http://www.heartbrandbeef.com/ (where this beef comes from) does not say it is Kobe beef it says that it is a Kobe style beef.

The header reads "Kobe Beef of Texas" on the Sam's brisket page. It does refer to Akaushi if you scroll down to read the description.

Either way, as Landarc said, it ain't Kobe. We are all in agreement there :thumb:

And I guarantee you that the "Texas Kobe" and American WaGyu are not raised or treated at all like the true WaGyu of the Kobe Prefecture.

Back