First 'Walk' . . . and First Wins!!

QansasjayhawQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lawrence, Kansas - The Great American Outback
I simply couldn't believe it while I sat there with my wife Nancy and I heard them announce first place in sausage . . . Ad Astra BBQ!

And then a few moments later . . . first place in chicken . . . Ad Astra BBQ!

I was stunned. And happy, of course.

We really tanked in ribs, coming in DAL (still trying to figure out why our ribs weren't done all the way - thermometer indicated 250 on the cooker). I felt so embarrassed turning in those ribs . . . but that's what we had.

ANYWAY - I won't make this too long - we placed third overall.

Most importantly was the return of Charlie Albert (Albert's Ash Kickin) to the winner's circle. He had a massive stroke about six months ago and returned to competition for the first time yesterday - and kicked everyone's butt with a first place overall finish. Way to go Charlie and Ed!

I was thrilled to death to know that I could at least impress celebrity judges and grocery store employees . . . :)

It was a non-sanctioned event at the Hy-Vee grocery store in Topeka. 15 teams showed up - and some of them were regular competitors that I've seen at lots of KCBS events in the past.

And all of this because of you folks! I simply can't thank everyone here enough for helping me out with getting started learning to cook REAL BBQ and all that I've learned from you all over the years. I am so very grateful that I found you all.

I REALLY appreciate it!

Congratulations. Be proud because 1st place calls are tough to come by and don't sweat the ribs. If you know what the problem was you can fix it. Worst is when you turn in what you think is great and then it tanks. Makes you wonder what happened.

Were they babyback ribs?

Last edited:
Just reading this!!! That kicks serious butt!!! Guess you get to give the demo at the bash this year :)

Savor it! And since your wife was right there with you, I'm sure the hook is set in her too...
Congrats!

Back