Wings

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I smoked 2 cases of wings (approx 600) on Saturday for my friend's restaurant to serve as a special. They went over really well and he would like to have them regularly on his menu for Friday and Saturday nights.

I am renting kitchen space from him after hours so it will be easy for me to pull the CTO to the restaurant on Thursday night and smoke the wings for the weekend. He will be buying the wings from Sysco and storing them in his walk in cooler. They will never leave the restaurant except for being in my smoker outside.

My problem is figuring out what to charge for smoking 2 cases of wings per week? I am not sure what Sysco charges him per case. I will be providing everything but the wings (rub, pans, foil, LP, wood etc) and it took me around 4-5 hours to prep/cook them this weekend.

Any help/advice with pricing would be appreciated. :thumb:

I would sit down with your friend and see what will work for him (what he can sell them for and how much he needs to make) and what will work for you to do the job. If you charge him too much he will just buy a smoker and do it himself. He might do that anyway once he sees how many he sells, that's what I would do. First wings, then ABT's then Moink Balls, it won't take long to amortize the cost of a smoker since has has a kitchen and cooks working in the kitchen already. His labor costs will not increase much and it will be much cheaper than having to pay you.

Yeah we will definitely sit down and talk it out just wanted to get some opinions from the smart folks on here. I don't have to worry about him buying a smoker...he isn't interested. Has way too much going on, thats why he hired me :)

Are those whole wings or drummettes and flats?

Probably not worth your while. Figure 600 wings = $400 in sales. Food cost = $100. Gross profit $300. Splitting that seems reasonable. That's just $150 for you. Then again $20 per hour can be OK too.

The wings are drummettes and flats. It took me 4-5 hours last time for 600 wings so $20/hour around $100. Obviously the $150 based on your calculations would be better. Problem is, I could really use the extra cash right now plus getting some exposure through his restaurant wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Pat, Go for at least half the profit. It seams you would be doing most the work.

Thanks Ray. That's how we did it this last weekend and I came out ok. It's a lot of work for a little pocket change but.....

I wouldn't do it. Unless your smoker is already lit for other reasons. It is way too much work for a little bit of money. Your friend is better of renting your smoker from you or getting his own. It is a lose lose situation for you to do them.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
dont forget your expense when you calculate how much you are making, you have to get the pit there, you have to buy fuel for both the pit and truck, buy spices etc...now how much per hour are you making?

Whatever you do; if you are leaving your smoker parked there overnight...be sure
to lock it up. Put a hitch lock on the hitch. Put a chain or cable lock through the
wheel and springs.
If you can chain it to the building or a heavy pole; do it, and do it in a way so that it
is very difficult for you to get to the locks. That way it will be difficult for somebody
to steal it as well.
Use more than one lock and method. Make it hard for a thief.
Don't assume it's a good area and everything will be fine. Locks and chains are
cheap compared to the expense and time it will take to replace a stolen smoker.

Thanks Ray. That's how we did it this last weekend and I came out ok. It's a lot of work for a little pocket change but.....

If you do it enough times, that little pocket change become real money. If you've got the time and it's still FUN, then keep pursuing it. I would. If it's not FUN, gracefully bow out and tell him you just want to keep renting the space from him.

All of the above and I would start the clock running as soon as the smoker is rolling down the road and keep it running until it is back home.

Thanks for the ideas and input folks! We are still "negotiating" on the wings. Will let you all know if it works out.

If you could sell it to several more restaurants besides this one it might make it worth while.

Spicy wings sell more beer at a restuarant. more beer= more profit. I worked in a kitchen in high school. The boss tasted my chili I made for the weekend crowd, then he added more red pepper. He said he'd break even on the chili as long as he sold two beers for each bowl of chili that left the kitchen. Profit on the wings is one thing, profit on the entire check is another. Dont sell yourself short.

Back