Asparagus for 85

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Whats up brothers and sisters. catering a wedding this Sat they requested grilled thick asparagus spears . My question is how many bushells of spears is sufficient:crazy:

Thanks in advance
Bill D

Whats up brothers and sisters. catering a wedding this Sat they requested grilled thick asparagus spears . My question is how many bushells of spears is sufficient:crazy:

Thanks in advance
Bill D

Don't know how many spears come in a bushel but I would say 3 spears per person is more than sufficient, like spinach it is an aquired taste and all guests will probably not eat it. I would personally use baby spears but if the customer wants thick spears the customer gets what they want unless you can convince them otherwise. I find explaining things to the customer as to why and why not using a certain product seems to work out well. This is just my opinion.

Good Luck

I don't know about the amount either, but I agree that it is an acquired taste (Granted, I acquired my taste as a very small child :becky:). I am curious about their desire for the large spears too though, unless they're just going for a "look" and not taste?

I am doing a wedding Sunday for 144 adults and I ordered 32lbs. of asparagus based on allrecipes.com

If you get fresh spears, the fat spears taste a lot better. Out here at least, I will always go for fatter spears, they are just as tender and far sweeter. I would go with the 24 lb range also, 1/4 pound with some overage is a good plan.

I LOVE asparagus, I can not imagine cooking 32 lbs of it though, wow.

When I smoke asparagus I always make "Mezcal Hollandaise" to seve them wth. Follow any "Hollandaise Sauce" recipe and substitute lemon juice with tequilla.

The added tequilla makes folks forget that they are eating asparagus

My own personal asparagus recipe:

1 case asparagus
1 fast car

Load case of asparagus into fast car. Drive to a Walmart parking lot. Find an unlocked unattended car in the parking lot. Throw the case of asparagus into unlocked car. Jump in to fast car and haul azz.

Handy Little Chart

Thanks for posting the handy little chart. Extension offices have a wealth of knowledge that hardly anyone uses.

My own personal asparagus recipe:

1 case asparagus
1 fast car

Load case of asparagus into fast car. Drive to a Walmart parking lot. Find an unlocked unattended car in the parking lot. Throw the case of asparagus into unlocked car. Jump in to fast car and haul azz.

Evil Kevin wishes he lived closer to Chuckwagon:twisted:. That actually sounds like Zucchini season around here. DO NOT leave your car unlocked.

Back