Does anybody use plum wood for smoking?

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine said that he was going to cut a trunk off of his plum tree, and didn't know if it was any good for smoking. I told him that I thought any fruit bearing tree was good, but that I would check with you folks. TIA

I had a guy give me a whole plum tree and it was great. Treat it just like any other fruit tree. I gave it to a few fellow comp guys as a gift for helping me out this year. Just make sure it wasn't sprayed with anything.

I like wild plum wood. It's mild but good!

I use plum a lot. Nice mild hard fruitwood. It splits a lot easier than apple and smokes nearly as sweet as cherry.

seattlepitboss

If I had access to some, I'd definately be trying it out. I've yet to be dissatisfied with a fruitwood. Apple, peach, sweet and sour cherry, apricot, they all turn out good flavor. About the only negative I've heard about from fruitwoods is citrus. However, living in Michigan, that is not a choice I need to make!:biggrin:

I once had the opportunity to cook with Plum and loved it. I use specifically Apple, but I certainly liked the Plum wood.

I trimmed a bunch off my Italian Plum and wasn't paying attention, and my neighbor pointed out that some of the branches were suckers. I've got it all drying, but wondering if I should use them or not? The leaves and bark of the sucker branches look different than the tree itself. I cut them all up and they got mixed together.

Waddya think?

I trimmed a bunch off my Italian Plum and wasn't paying attention, and my neighbor pointed out that some of the branches were suckers. I've got it all drying, but wondering if I should use them or not? The leaves and bark of the sucker branches look different than the tree itself. I cut them all up and they got mixed together.

Waddya think?

Use 'em. No diff. They'll burn quicker, though.

Back