BBQ cook off this weekend thinking boneless ribs.

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a BBQ Cook off this weekend at a private club I belong too. Had it all worked out I was going to use Hog Wings, BUT Gordon foods quit carrying them. So kind of in a pinch and was thinking about trying boneless ribs. Never done it before but my thoughts are buying 4 or 5 pork tenderloins "not loins" and cutting them in half long ways and pounding them out a little to get a uniform thickness and then putting the shish Kabob sticks in. Then toss on the grill till ready. Figure it would be quick and easy. Has anyone ever tried this? And do you think the tenerloins might be too tender to do this with? Any advice or alternate ideas would be appreciated! Let me state first, these guys are not BBQ type of people and all they care about is if it tastes good. If it was boiled or had a bottle of liquid smoke on it they probably would not even know. And we are doing it on small grills in the parking lot so its not going to be anything overly fancy. Start grilling around 9:00 or 10:00 and everything has to be ready for judging by 12:30 before the football game starts.

I would just worry about it drying out. Its tender but also lean. Wrap iit in a slice of bacon to infuse some fat and flavor. :lol:

How small of a grill? you talkin smokey joe, or 22.5 kettle? If it's kettle, why not go with baby backs? I mean you should be able to shatter the competition with them (I mean typical tailgate fair is like Bubba burgers and hot dogs, brats if you are lucky) plus they cook pretty fast.

How much do you need to make?

Well I was actually probably going to do most the cooking at home and then throw what I make on the smokey joe to reheat and bake the sauce on. I'm not the best with ribs and the 3-2-1 method people use on here would have me starting earlier than I would prefer to get there. We never discussed how much, only rule they made that I was against that what ever you make HAS to have BBQ sauce on it.

Also I was thinking the Pork Tenderloins because when I cook them whole I pull at about 150, when they are still a little pink in the middle. So I figured if I had about a 1/2 inch or so of boneless I could pull when they are still moist and they would only take 10 or 15 minutes so I would not have to dry them out. Might have to buy and try it out for a practice run

Okay David try this, Hog i tori or if you decide to use boneless skinless chicken thighs yakitori (the real thing)

By your pork loins, then cube them into 1 inch pieces and skewer them on bamboo skewers so as the meat is all touching.

Now in the mean time make the sauce 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup sake or sherry 1/3 cup mirin or sweet white wine 1/3 cup brown sugar and about 5 chopped scallion greens. Now combine in a nonreactive sauce pan and simmer till the sugar disolves. stretch it as much as you think you gotta.

Get to the site heat the grill to hot dip the skewers in and baste with the sauce as you flip, done in about 3 minutes per side. guaranteed competition shredder.

Back