If a newb followed directions for UDS

T

Tweedle

I got my barrels today for my uds. I got 5 cause thats all that would fit in my truck, at $5 apiece it felt like a good deal. :-D They were used for highway paint and had a nice thick red lining in them YESSSS! :icon_devil I used a two pronged attack I built a huge fire in them and then went to town on the outside with the weed burner. Round two starts after work tomorrow. I took pics so i'll throw them up in the morning. :cool:

pics of my build so far "THE BURNOUT"

Here They are Def ugly
1.jpg

Lids and locking bands
2.jpg

Drilled out the whole, not very neat but its a whole.
3.jpg

Parts, I skiped the galvanized this time around.... :rolleyes:
4.jpg

all fitted together
5.jpg

Burn baby Burn!
7.jpg

They need a little help I think so out comes the weed burner.
8.1.jpg

Hey its me again look at'em burn!
9.jpg

ROund two starts tonight. Has anyone had any luck wirebrushing the coating off the inside before a burn?
oh here is the inside with the red coating... grrrr

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 134
I would worry more about the inside than the outside. Is that rabbits in the cages?

Mineral Spirits

I first washed mine out with strong dergent, then used the pressure washer. After thorough cleaning I used the weed burner. leftover outside paint came off with pressure washer.
Mike/North Florida Smokin

Burn em good those are lead based chemicals that come in those cans! This is one time lighter fluid would be aceptible

Looking forward to see the finished product with the rabbits and turkeys(?) on the grill!:wink:
Good job Tweed!

It sure is

I would worry more about the inside than the outside. Is that rabbits in the cages?

Yup rabbits in the wooden cages and turkeys under the collapsed ez-up tent.

We grow and raise our own food. :grin:

All the paint burned out last night, just the liner left i figure 2-3 more good burns itll be ok. I'm going to try and pressure wash them and scar it up with the wire brush to see if that will help.

You are a natural born brethren sir... Five barrels to start with, yup, a brethren indeed! AND, grows and raises his own food supply.

for the baskets

I checked at the Depot last night and they looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for expanded metal... what is it used for originally? I being not of the metallurgy arts had no idea..... so they couldn’t help.. any ideas ?

Check with local welding or fabrication shops. They usually have drop offs you can get.My neighbor raises California rabbits and i am always happy when he calls and tells me to bring a pan.His are show rabbits and i was floored at the prices he gets for them.I get the losers.:p

Check with local welding or fabrication shops. They usually have drop offs you can get.My neighbor raises California rabbits and i am always happy when he calls and tells me to bring a pan.His are show rabbits and i was floored at the prices he gets for them.I get the losers.:p

We raise New Zelands 'cause they put on the most meat in the quickest amount of time :eek: they are pricey if you show'em but the only thing animals at my house get shown is the freezer.... :mrgreen:
(with the exception of the cats( I hate cats) cause they keep away the mice(another thing im not alowed to cook))

HD and Lowe's DO carry expanded metal in their metal section near hardware. So do welding supply shops. You may find the better deal at fabricators. I thought the welding shop ripped me a bit on my steel. Ask them if they can roll it for you. It makes doing the basket a lot easier.

Your liner should come off with a pressure washer (or at the car wash) after you burnt it that good. Mine did. If it's turned pink or white, it is ready to wash off.

I have some of those highway paint barrels, too. Use them as feed barrels. Should make good smokers, they are thicker steel.

Git-r-dun and git yer broomstick and a sharp knife. It's rabbit time! I still have about 6 in the freezer I need to get cooked before they get frost burn. Too bad you're so far away, I'd trade ya goat meat for rabbit and turkey, and we'd be set.

Git-r-dun and git yer broomstick and a sharp knife. It's rabbit time! I still have about 6 in the freezer I need to get cooked before they get frost burn. Too bad you're so far away, I'd trade ya goat meat for rabbit and turkey, and we'd be set.

hmmm what if we shipped overnight with dry ice.... lol

Back