• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Yeah, you could have a slide out basket and then slide in one up higher 6" to 8" below the grate to grill on. Or have the basket and ashpan as one piece that could slide either down low to smoke or up high to grill. Ain't this chit fun?????

I went with a short inner barrel that you can pull out. It also works for stand-alone grilling. Then there's NORCO's method of lifting the drum off the lid. Either of these methods seems more straightforward than making a slide-out tray but hey, I probably just don't understand your concept Bob.

Last edited:
Almost there!!

Well, I want to thank everyone here, for all the work done to help us find our way to the UDS. I still have to make the coal baskets, having an issue getting some expanded metal. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day? I made two of these. And I will be making a kart to attach one on each end with a table in the middle. The guy who does my powder coating on the brew stands I make, said if I wanted to tie these in with my brew stand, all I would pay for is the sand blasting and paint,About $30.00 each I said done! IMG_0798.jpgI kept with the basic Idea's and there not quite done yet. The only thing I added was to the intakes. I put a chain on the plugs so I wouldn't lose them or step on them. I'll post more when I get my baskets done and then the kart. I'm itch'in to season these things.Thanks again from everybody involved.

P.S. Hey Bubba...Do you recognize them?

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,239
That is one sweet looking Drum Tyler!
I love the paint!
Got a price on the PC thing last week... $135.00,
you lucky bastard!
I painted mine today with a poor persons rattle can.

Looks great Dude!

Well, I want to thank everyone here, for all the work done to help us find our way to the UDS. I still have to make the coal baskets, having an issue getting some expanded metal. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day? I made two of these. And I will be making a kart to attach one on each end with a table in the middle. The guy who does my powder coating on the brew stands I make, said if I wanted to tie these in with my brew stand, all I would pay for is the sand blasting and paint,About $30.00 each I said done! View attachment 25283I kept with the basic Idea's and there not quite done yet. The only thing I added was to the intakes. I put a chain on the plugs so I wouldn't lose them or step on them. I'll post more when I get my baskets done and then the kart. I'm itch'in to season these things.Thanks again from everybody involved.

P.S. Hey Bubba...Do you recognize them?

Is that powder coated? Sweet looking drum.

OK.. how bout this... HF sells a powder coating kit for about 80 bucks I believe.. how would it work to spray it and then cure it with the heat from inside the UDS?

That is one sweet looking Drum Tyler!
I love the paint!
Got a price on the PC thing last week... $135.00,
you lucky bastard!
I painted mine today with a poor persons rattle can.

Looks great Dude!
Ya! the it's an Auto body shop and there really slow right now and he's giving me good prices. Not sure how long it will last. As soon as there busy enough to open 5 day's a week I'm sure the price will go up!
Thanks!

I went with a short inner barrel that you can pull out. It also works for stand-alone grilling. Then there's NORCO's method of lifting the drum off the lid. Either of these methods seems more straightforward than making a slide-out tray but hey, I probably just don't understand your concept Bob.

Oh you probably get it and I'm probably other thinking it. But that's what I do.

Takes 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. Thing works great. buddy has an electric house oven he does it in. Gotta be clean, oil free. Great for engine/boat parts.

OK.. how bout this... HF sells a powder coating kit for about 80 bucks I believe.. how would it work to spray it and then cure it with the heat from inside the UDS?
He told me they get it up to about 150 degrees and then spray it so it dry's quick and then they bake it between 5-600 dgrees to cure.

Takes 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. Thing works great. buddy has an electric house oven he does it in. Gotta be clean, oil free. Great for engine/boat parts.

400 deg for 1/2 hour... load charcoal basket, powder coat and open vents.. mission accomplished... more heat? more charcoal...

He told me they get it up to about 150 degrees and then spray it so it dry's quick and then they bake it between 5-600 dgrees to cure.

It doesn't exactly spray. Don't want to seem like a know it all but my dad was in on the beginning of the powdercoat process. He ran a wheel company. They bought one of the first powder coat lines sold. Ithe clean piece is electracally (?) charged and so is the powder. A low pressure air or kinda "poof" is blown on the part and it is drawn to the part. Then it is put in the oven. Process is great. 400 is the minimum temp to start process. About the only way I had ever seen him get it off or strip it is with extreme temps. Great coating.

Old man used to blow a gasket when someone would ask him to "Dip" this in chrome!

It doesn't exactly spray. Don't want to seem like a know it all but my dad was in on the beginning of the powdercoat process. He ran a wheel company. They bought one of the first powder coat lines sold. Ithe clean piece is electracally (?) charged and so is the powder. A low pressure air or kinda "poof" is blown on the part and it is drawn to the part. Then it is put in the oven. Process is great. 400 is the minimum temp to start process. About the only way I had ever seen him get it off or strip it is with extreme temps. Great coating.

Old man used to blow a gasket when someone would ask him to "Dip" this in chrome!
He said when the goes on it's totally black and as it bakes the grey comes out, it's called gray vien. I never seen him do it but that is what he tells me.
I know what you mean about chrome. I used to nickel or chrome plate my brew stands, but after seeing the difference of powder coating I won't go back. I did a 50 gallon system at Christmas time for a guy in NY that insisted on nickel. I was so disapointed in that finished product.

Tyler- I thought I had my system down and I wouldn't add or change my barrels but that powder coat is awesome. Changes it to a Beauty Drum Smoker!!
BTW- what are Brew stands?

Tyler- I thought I had my system down and I wouldn't add or change my barrels but that powder coat is awesome. Changes it to a Beauty Drum Smoker!!
BTW- what are Brew stands?
They are for brewing beer,I will post pics of the one I made for myself this week in the homebrew section on this forum.

Can a drum that held biodiesel be used for a UDS? Having a hard time finding an unlined drum here.

Got a friend looking for someone in the Chicago area to help make a UDS. Anyone got time, energy, or interest in helping?

I've been thinking about your post since last night.
Why wouldn't that work?
Uneven temps and variation between top and bottom?

I have no idea... just thinking.

Weiser

Back