Nu-Temp Remote Therm - no ON/OFF ???

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Finally got around to opening up my package of three Nu-Temp thermometers (that were shipped to me more than a year ago....:icon_blush: )

I have seen others who had these specific units... but I never noticed that there was no ON/OFF button... They mentioned in the instruction sheet that it does not have one as current required is minimal and can run for 6 months...

Just seemed odd to me.. For those who own them, are you removing the battery cover before and after each use ?

Pain in the arse...

nope.. they run for a year if ya keep them inside. Less if you leave them in the cold. I just carry a costco pack of AA and AAA batteries with my comp stuff.

Kinda ditto. My TruTemps do have an on/off switch. I have a Pyrex one that doesn't, though, and it has been running for over a year now on the original battery (yep, one AAA battery - I love that sucker)

EDIT: Just saw that you typed NU-Temp, not TRU-Temp. I just woke up... :)

nope.. they run for a year if ya keep them inside. Less if you leave them in the cold. I just carry a costco pack of AA and AAA batteries with my comp stuff.

You only get a year out of them? :wink:

Vinny, I have had one Nu Temp on the shelf under my grill in the yard for over 3 years, probably 2 or 3 battery changes. The receiver in the house is used year round as an outside temp gauge.

Tested last month in boiling water and hit 211* :razz:

Thing is accurate down to -22 (Farking cold)

But my other receiver, you are correct, I unscrew the back and remove, only because I only need the second unit 2wice a year (I have Pyrex probes for medium cooks)

My second unit looks brand new, my one on the patio looks like hell, and has an inch of soot covering the faceplate (sits on 1x3 piece above kettle lid vent mostly)

I received 4 probes with my 2 units. In three years, I am on my last one.

Very durable, I'm sure you'll like them.

Nu Temps are awesome. I use 15 min rechargeables in most of my stuff - they seem to last over a year in the Nu Temps. Actually, I've had my Nu Temps around 2 1/2 years and am only on my second set of batteries. Like Bill, I keep one outside in the grill during the winter to monitor outdoor temps.

I rarely use my other 4 remote thermometers since I got the Nu Temps.

Ok they are good units but they do have some short comings. For one don't leave them in direct sunlight it will kill the sending units and two, be very careful with the probes, they can get destroyed in a hart beat either from excessive heat or the wire getting smashed by the lid. the company recommends putting foil around the wires, to shield some of the heat. They were going to have a high heat probe available but I haven't check back in a good while. One other thing depending on which kind of battery's you use, you may have to pull the contacts out just a bit for it to work right.
Dave

Back