Pork Butt and Brisket?

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
New to the Competition world I decided to to a practice run. Well I'm glad I did because I realized I gotta hone in my Times better. How do you guys know how much time to allow for pork butt and brisket so that it will rest properly and still make turn in time. What temp do you pull each? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would guess most/many guys pull there larger meats around 9ish. It gives plenty of rest time and plenty of buffer. As for temp, that varies a bit. Some guys pull brisket 190, others 200, others go by feel alone. Same goes for butts. I generally put mine on around 11pm - midnight.

If you're foiling your meat to finish the cook, and I think you probably are..... after your pull from the cooker, make sure to open the foil for a few minutes to vent some heat so it doesn't continue cooking above your target temp, Wrap your foil back up, and place it in a dry cooler wrapped in some towels, and it will hold temp for several hours, believe it or not! When turn-ins come up, get it out and slice or pull or whatever. No need to let it rest any further outside the foil!

If you're foiling your meat to finish the cook, and I think you probably are..... after your pull from the cooker, make sure to open the foil for a few minutes to vent some heat so it doesn't continue cooking above your target temp, Wrap your foil back up, and place it in a dry cooler wrapped in some towels, and it will hold temp for several hours, believe it or not! When turn-ins come up, get it out and slice or pull or whatever. No need to let it rest any further outside the foil!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. As far as cooking times and temps for brisket and pork butt, when you plan your day out how much time do you usually allow for each, and at what temp do you pull them off?

I usually allow 8-9 hours for the big cuts, pulling them off cooker by 9am or before! My target temps are about 195 for the butts and 200 for brisket. If you let brisket go much past 205 it will be difficult to slice and more in the range for pulling. Hope this helps!

We allow 10 hrs for butts and briskets. We cook 300-350 so my briskets are usually done in 4-5 hrs and Into the Cambro.

we try to get a 2 to 3 hrs. of rest time, maybe a few more practices with different weights of meat will help you to get a real feel of your smoker and times to work with. outside temps can play havoc on your smoker and mess up your time table. that has to be considered as well, especially if it is uninsulated.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. As far as cooking times and temps for brisket and pork butt, when you plan your day out how much time do you usually allow for each, and at what temp do you pull them off?
This really all depends on your cooking style. My best advice would be to not enter a comp until you have your timelines down for your large meats or for that matter, all your meats. The advice given has been spot on, but what works for some, may not work for you. Practice..practice..and more practice.
But no matter what, have fun.

Back