KCBS Rules interpretation needed

frankH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anybody here trim their product before heading out to a competition? I was thinking i could trim everything Thursday and re-vacuum seal it to save some time Friday night. As long as i don't add marinade or seasoning, is this legal? Here is the relevant section of the rules.

7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official
Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest
organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the
competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the
contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition
meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All

competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-
seasoned meat

is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected
products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to:
teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected.

When the contest

organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to
enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these
qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria

by all six judges.

Yep. We do it for every comp. there is nothing in the rules that prohibits this.

BTW, could you possibly find a smaller font?
thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-009.gif

:becky:

I meant to say thanks smaller, but that is the smallest font allowed.

I guess that's why I don't do competitions: I can't read the rule book.

I learned the hard way. I trimmed all of my meats for my first comp at the comp location. When I was getting inspected, the Rep asked me why I didn't rim at home. I told him I didn't think that was allowed. The look on his face told me that I was wrong and I've been trimming at home ever since. That's where I discovered that an 18lb brisket can fit into a 2.5 gallon zip loc bag :shocked:

I learned the hard way. I trimmed all of my meats for my first comp at the comp location. When I was getting inspected, the Rep asked me why I didn't rim at home. I told him I didn't think that was allowed. The look on his face told me that I was wrong and I've been trimming at home ever since. That's where I discovered that an 18lb brisket can fit into a 2.5 gallon zip loc bag :shocked:

Separated I assume?

We always plan on trimming before we leave, but whiskey seems to have different plans most of the time. Maybe next time.

Folded, it will fit if folded

Yeah that is what we do too. Gotta fold it a little and sometimes a bigger brisket can be tight. The need to make 3 gallon bags to make it a little easier :loco:

The need to make 3 gallon bags to make it a little easier :loco:

They do.
Ziploc® Brand Big Bags are available in three big sizes:
L equivalent to 3 Gallon (11.4L) 1.25 FT. x 1.25 FT. (38.1cm x 38.1cm) 5ct.
XL equivalent to 10 Gallon (37.8L) 2 FT. x 1.7 FT. (60cm x 51 cm) 4ct.
XXL equivalent to 20 Gallon (75.7L) 2 FT. x 2.7 FT. (60cm x 82 cm) 3ct.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-Large-5-Count/dp/B003U6A3C6"]Amazon.com: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

They do.
Ziploc® Brand Big Bags are available in three big sizes:
L equivalent to 3 Gallon (11.4L) 1.25 FT. x 1.25 FT. (38.1cm x 38.1cm) 5ct.
XL equivalent to 10 Gallon (37.8L) 2 FT. x 1.7 FT. (60cm x 51 cm) 4ct.
XXL equivalent to 20 Gallon (75.7L) 2 FT. x 2.7 FT. (60cm x 82 cm) 3ct.

Amazon.com: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count: Health & Personal Care

Brilliant! I've even seen those but it never registered in my head to use them :doh:. Maybe I'll just get the XXL and throw all my meats into 1 bag :becky:.

Always trim, seal & freeze chicken before comps. Had a friend & fellow competitor tell me that trimming & refreezing chicken on Tuesday before a comp was too early. I got a First Place Chicken call at that comp, so maybe Tuesday is not too early! :-D

Always do the chicken and ribs at home. It's so much easier. We always do brisket and pork on site just because I like to have them cryovac'd for transport and I don't have a good saver large enough.

Last Texas comp I did here, there were 105 teams. The meat inspector came by and all my meats were in ziplocks already trimmed. The guy got a sheepish look on his face and asked me if this was my first comp. I said "no why?" He said "you have to have your meat in the original package." Of course I argued the point and asked him if this was his first time at a competition. He said yes. He actually called the head judge and she told him I was legal. They did say that I should probably keep my receipts though. That is the first time I've even been questioned and I've done around 20 comps in the last couple of years. It is legal to trim in KCBS, IBCA, LSBS...other than that, I don't know.

I wussed out of buying the 2.5 gallon bags at the store and bought the XXL. I bet I could fit 10 12lber's in it! lol. way overkill.

Back