Getting an egg to the contest without destroying it

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have my first contest coming up next weekend and I have an XL big green egg I need to survive the trip.

Never packed it before so looking for some experienced opinions. She sits in a home made table right now that will be making the trip as well and I have access to numerous vehicles and a trailer.

Should I disassemble???

Hate to ruin my first contest by wrecking my baby.

Thanks guys!!

Bubble wrap and lots of it.

I think the lid and base are ok, but I would put bubble wrap between the inserts and the base.

Actually towels also work and with them you don't have to worry as much in repacking after the comp (melting mod)

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I use a van to transport 5 of my Eggs daily. A trailer is too bouncy.

Look out for sharp objects like bolts sticking out in your car.
I put moving blankets between them so they don't touch any hard surfaces.
To immobilise I use several ratchet tie-down straps.

The inside I just leave like it is.
I broke only one fire-box in 5 years through transport, but the best way would be cardboard inside. Easy to put in and easy to take out. If you lose a bit it will just burn and not smell like burnt plastic like with bubble wrap.

The same if you transport in a table, put cardboard between the Egg and the table edge.

i just got my egg, so i'm still pretty anal. We take the insides out and wrap in bubble wrap and put in a box separate. than the egg goes in the back of the truck(we've got a pot lifter which makes lifting the egg easy as hell, I have a large and could do it myself if I had to). Put a towel against the back wall of the truck, a towel between the base and the lid. One ratchet strap goes around the belly of the egg to the back wall of the truck. Than one strap goes between the base and the lid down to the bed, and another goes over the top of the egg. Basically you don't want it to bounce, bouncing ceramics=breaking ceramics. call me anal, but I haven't broken it yet.

BGE Care

We took three to our last contest in a F150. Two sat in the back seat with seatbelts on and the third was strapped carefully in the back with blankets and some cardboard around it.

Several fellow competitors stopped by and said "Did we just see you take two eggs out of the back seat?" Just make sure they are nice and cool for the trip home! :-D

I've hauled mineall over the country without much problem. I'd make sure the table was really beefed up. I agree on the van over trailer but I've hauled mine in my trailers for years. In the table I have patio blocks underneath and they break up now and then but the Eggs are fine. I leave the guts intact without any wrapping. I do place the platesetters on top of the cooking grid legs up for travel and I would suggest a strap to hold the lid shut. Other than that I strap the table to the wall and go.

If you will be doing a lot of comps with your egg, why not build a padded crate for it, that can be used over and over.

CD

I do place the platesetters on top of the cooking grid legs up for travel and I would suggest a strap to hold the lid shut. Other than that I strap the table to the wall and go.

That is how mine travel with the platesetter. I've been reading about guys using wood shims to stop wiggle with the innards. I've not tried it myself.

I have two crates I built to haul them around and built a beefed up furniture dolly to pull them around. I've been strapping them to the floor of my toy hauler with no ill effects.

I've never had a table for mine so I can't give advice on tabling them.

We've hauled ceramics of various brands for years, and the only time I've seen breakage has been when the internals were able to "jump up" inside the cooker when you drive over a harsh bump. You can prevent this by placing a half-full bag of charcoal, roll of foam, platsetter or whatever will stop vertical travel. Then assuming the grill lids and tables are well strapped you should be good to go. Just remember you are pulling a china shop behind you and don't do any Dukes of Hazzard stunts on the way to the comp.

Back