Score This Brisket Box

How would you score appearance on this entry at a contest?

• 9 – Excellent

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • 8 – Very Good

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • 7 – Above Average

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • 6 – Average

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 5 – Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 – Poor

• 3 – Bad

• 2 – Inedible

• 1 – Disqualified

• Total voters
T

The Pickled Pig

I had some time on my hands this weekend to do a brisket dress rehearsal. How would you score the entry?

7.jpg

8.jpg

Nice!

But can you do it with no sleep while pickled?

Just kidding. Very nice looking box. Looks juicy and has a wonderful (I know that it shouldn't count) smoke ring.

Without reading others posts, I gave it a 7. I was taken aback by the symetrical look of the the brisket and the burnt ends. Just didn't look like a natural cut or looking piece of meat. Not sure if the big chunks on top did anything for me or not, I finally decided to to not count up or down for it.
Good smoke ring, and looks moist. The box looks pleasing to look as well.

the pre trimmed squared off slices are interesting. the uniformity of the placement draws attention to where it is not uniform, such as the size difference of the ends in the upper right corner and the width of the garnish along the top as compared to the bottom. there seems to be some rub coming loose on slice one and three and i would try to cover more of the box with meat and use a thinner border of garnish. aside from this i think it looks really good and even though i am not qualified as a judge would give you an eight!

WOW!! 9

Almost TOO pretty, if that's possible.

First time I have seen a smoke ring almost all the way around a slice of brisket.
You must have shaved that fat cap pretty thin to get that.
Looks nice.
I like the way the meat sets up on top and is front and center.
Not sunk down in a bowl of salad.

Great job!

This is why I would be so frustrated if I did comps. It's more about what the garnish looks like and if your meat is "even."

Dude that stuff looks fantastic and I would be proud to chomp down on it. And you wouldn't even need to give me any dang parsley.

I went 8. Something a little too unnatural about the shape of brisket. I would also try and pick off some of the specs on the meat. That being over picky, but the meat does look juicy and tasty.

I said '8'... the meat doesn't look moist, it doesn't make me want to reach into my screen to have some... but looks very good.

Looks like a 9 to me based on the other boxes folks post to be rated. Nice smoke ring, it looks moist based on the picture my screen shows. I also like that it isn't being hidden by the garnish, but rests on top.

I give it an 8. Might be a 9 if I was actually judging because you don't get to look at it for more than a few seconds in a real judging situation and I might not notice the smudged bark. You should put a seventh piece in there for the table captain show them a little love !

easy 9.. A 6 ? no way that is average. They took some time and made it purty..
If I had brisket like that, I would hope that it was a 9.

I was between an 8 and 9 I went with a 9 for voting I really like the turn in and it made me want to try some.

Scored the Box

I liked the look of your sliced pieces and parsley in the box. I think the "burnt ends" through off the symetry of the box and may be viewed by people outside your area as strange. You also risk the potential for the large chunks to be evaluated differently from slices. I would rely on slices, the moisture looked great, nice cuts, overall a good looking box. Jmbones

Back