Is it legal....

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm loaning my big offset to a buddy for the backyard contest. I'm cooking the same contest, KCBS of course, on my FEC500. Can I cook my chicken and / or ribs on the same pit he's gonna use for the backyard? Not sure I would want to, just don't know the answer. Thanks.......

No...

Rule 3.

3) Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers, props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. All seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or cooking device.

One would debate that KCBS rules pertain to the KCBS competition, and as only 1 team is presenting anything in the KCBS competition from that cooker, by Rule 3, they'd be
ok.

Good points, but most backyard events tied to KCBS events use KCBS rules, so rule 3 would apply to the backyard team as well.

Obviously, the only person who can answer this is the organizer of the event. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of someone seeing someone else cooking meat in your KCBS space and taking it elsewhere. It can raise too many questions.

If the backyard event is not KCBS sanctioned i.e. the organizer didn't pay the KCBS fees for an auxillary contest then rule #3 doesn't apply as they are 2 separate events.

I would say it would be legal if the KCBS and backyard comps are on different days. My understanding is the rule applies only if both teams are cooking the same competition on the same day. Contact the organizers and ask them. That way you rear is covered.

Can't find enough space on that 500 for a few slabs of ribs and some thighs? :doh:

Maybe you should have bought the 750.

Good points, but most backyard events tied to KCBS events use KCBS rules, so rule 3 would apply to the backyard team as well.

Obviously, the only person who can answer this is the organizer of the event. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of someone seeing someone else cooking meat in your KCBS space and taking it elsewhere. It can raise too many questions.

First, Are the two events going on at the same time?
If yes, then you would not be able to use the cooker, because it is not in your space, and you have to do all your cooking in your space.

If they are not going at the same time, you should be able to wheel the cooker over to your site, and use it.

If the backyard event is not KCBS sanctioned i.e. the organizer didn't pay the KCBS fees for an auxillary contest then rule #3 doesn't apply as they are 2 separate events.

this is true. that is the other variable in play...

you big pellet head go OLD SCHOOL:becky: (WEBER):clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

As with any gray area, it doesn't matter unless you win. The real question is: Are you willing to risk a challenge over this from somebody if you do?

Can't find enough space on that 500 for a few slabs of ribs and some thighs? :doh:

Maybe you should have bought the 750.

Nate,
Plenty of room, just curiousity. If I cook it, its with pellets. My 2nd FEC500 will be here this week............! Although I did win brisket with the old pit last year.

I suggest you send this to the BOD. Explain exact timing and location of pit and who is controlling the fire and if both teams will have meat on at the same time.

I'd say it's legal if the pit is in their area during the backyard but moves to your area before you start using it.

This is not an organizer question as it refers to a KCBS rule.

Back