Slbs vs. Kcbs

Smokin' Hicks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How much different are these 2 entities? I know St. louis BBQ society is fairly young but, is there a big difference in flavor profiles between the two groups. I am sure the competition level of KCBS comps. is much higher with many more experienced teams, so it seems. I have cooked many comps. in both organizations. I was told once that the St. Louis BBQ Society is the little leagues and the KCBS is the big leagues...I don't know if i fully agree with that statement....any one else care to throw their 2 cents in?

How many contests have you cooked in KCBS and in SLBS? Just to get a perspective of where your coming from....

I look at SLBS as a more local version of KCBS. The judging is quite similar. Several of the leaders of SLBS compete in many KCBS events. They do have some additional categories such as Pork Steaks that are treated as ancillary contests by KCBS. Some of their events will qualify for the Royal. They are very similar, almost parallel organizations, just different in size and scope.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

St. Louis Barbecue Society

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I suspect that you will get different opinions based on personal experience, preference, and overall goals of the team. I can tell you that we cooked most of the SLBS events this year and just did our first KCBS event a couple weekends ago. As Brian said, there are many similarities in rules and timeline to make them "KCBS like". When we were in Quincy, we were around some of the best teams around (Tippy, B&B, Gilly, 4 smokin butts, RippleQ, and so on) and for us, it felt like we were competing at a higher level. These guys are the best of the best, on a larger scale. Like I said, it's like everything else, everyone has their own opinion and point of view. We will continue to do SLBS events when it is convenient and practical, have lots of good friends that we love to cook against. Hoping to have just as many in KCBS as we get deeper into it for 2013. Good luck and hope to see you around in either setting.

Thanks for the kind words Code 3! I've done 1 non-KCBS cook this year (Jakey in June). It's not SLBS, but had a bunch of SLBS teams there. I wouldn't compare them as major league / minor league as there are some VERY good SLBS teams and some very bad KCBS teams. I've cooked roughly 80 KCBS in the last 7 years, and 40-ish of those were in the last 2 years. It's my opinion that the KCBS teams simply cook more, which leads to more consistency and a very repeatable, or "dialed in" process. Surprises are the bane of the succesful contest cook. Simple process, solid flavors, cooked perfectly wins contests and there is no substitute for practice.

. When we were in Quincy, we were around some of the best teams around (Tippy, B&B, Gilly, 4 smokin butts, RippleQ, and so on) and for us, it felt like we were competing at a higher level. These guys are the best of the best, on a larger scale. .
I heard there was a new team name there at Quincy that scored pretty well against those players, all on one WSM...:redface:(got lucky)
B and B is right...KCBS players cook a lot more and that certainly helps on dialing it in and consistency..

Back